Green terror male or female ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidthinker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought these two, i would guess they are about 4-5 months old , they both have white/yellow tail ends
uploadfromtaptalk1439389748571.jpguploadfromtaptalk1439389771290.jpg

These are of the same fish , il post pics of the other when he starts showing himself

Any behaviors i should look out for ? To know the sex i mean
And on another thought i have a 5 inch male convict that is in a 5 gallon for the day to let the terrors adjust themselves , you think he will eat them up ? They are about 2 inches

Def way too early to sex them. Usually you'll be able to get an accurate gender around 3-4". I have one that I'm 80% positive is female, but still throws me for a loop second guessing myself on occasion. Its also still a little small to be 100%

Jesse

Here is my 4.5" male. You'll notice how thick the orange on the tail is.

Also is two pics of my smaller GT. One pic is how it usually looks, and the other is how it looked yesterday after trying to show some dominance. Pics are about 3 weeks apart

Jesse

Attachments

• 1439395041851.jpg
    1439395041851.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 1439395054470.jpg
    1439395054470.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 125
  • 1439395069600.jpg
    1439395069600.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 106
If you look at the top fins , then in one picture its more round , and in the first its more pointed , it would have throwed me off too haha , but im hoping for a male !:)

Its a show tank that wont change any bit , for the green terror is my favorite fish atm , i can wait :)

fin being pointy or round doesnt really hold true with these guys. Best way to tell is body shape and head shame. Male will be longer steeper head. Female will have a taller not as song body with less steep head.

Convict may ignore or attack the GT no telling until you try. good job separating but you may also want to rearrange the tank before reintroducing.

Il see what happens otherwise il give him away and buy little ones, the tank is very different from when he was in it, but the thing is there was a convict pair , i gave away the female and as soon as i did i got the 2 terrors and put the male in another tank , do you think he has forgotten about the fry ?

Last edited:
What im asking is should i wait a day to put him in the tank again or wont ot matter and put him now in the tank

The outcome about 30 minutes after I introduced my GT and Convict together. Only happened this one time, they were housed together for about 4-5 months until the convict tried to spawn with my JD and I sold it lol

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439401865.529626.jpg

Jesse

Its just that i find mine to be pretty big as it could do serious damage, id love to see some convict/jd fry lol

I didn't want hybridization happening in my tank (although I own a few hybrids), or the aggression that came with spawning. Here's a pic pulled from mfk

Jesse

Attachments

• 1439402400869.jpg
    1439402400869.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 65
Great looking , only hybrids id like to see atm is green terror x red terror , dovii x jaguar :)

20120531_221913-jpg.818029

Here's dovii x jag. Not sure if GT x Festae is possible. Seems like I read something once that most Aequidens species won't even hybridize within their genus, much less outside of it. Festae would likely kill a GT before it would mate with it anyways.

Jesse

20120531_221913-jpg.818029

Here's dovii x jag. Not sure if GT x Festae is possible. Seems like I read something once that most Aequidens species won't even hybridize within their genus, much less outside of it. Festae would likely kill a GT before it would mate with it anyways.

Jesse

I actually heard the same thing about Aequidens. but there is a person on youtube that claims acara x GT hybrid however video is very fuzzy so hard to confirm it. I think out side the genus is definitely a no go.

uploadfromtaptalk1439584284914.jpg
Look at this picture i just took , you guys wont probably see it but the other terror is always darker in colour and slightly smaller and the brighter one is also more aggresive , any chance i have a male and a female ? Female being the darker one

Ps. why the heck do my picture always appear sideways ?

Back
Top Bottom