New 10 gallon - betta, male guppies, female neos, potentially dwarf gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corneliusmom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there! So I am now addicted to the hobby and will be getting a new 10 gal. I am considering ONE of the species above and would love your input. The most important consideration: I am moving overseas in 8 months, and am planning on bringing my betta with me on the plane in large water bottle (think Nalgene). I'd have to set up new tanks once I get there with my established sponge filters (which I will also be packing in a water bottle). I get attached to my pets so I'd want to do the same for whomever inhabits that second tank. As such, I need a decently hardy fish, which I know bettas are (well, at least mine is), but not sure about guppies, gourami, and even less so about Neos. A few more considerations:

- I am not sure if the dwarf gourami will be happy in a 10 gal; opinions seem pretty split. Some say it's more than enough for 1 male, others say they prefer more swimming room. This is the one I am most unsure about. I like my pets having room to thrive so I can easily pass on this option.

- I love bettas and already have one in a 10 gal; my introduction to the hobby, so I was hoping to branch out to a different species (been eyeing guppies for some time). However I found a listing on Marketplace for a beautiful cellophane betta it's owner wants to rehome for free and I'm torn.

- As I mentioned before, I want to take my pets when I move, and not sure if guppies are hardy enough. I am also hesitant to put them in the same container; would I have to split them up? That might be a bit much for me to take in my carry-on. Another issue with guppies is how divided opinions are regarding keeping a small group of males in a 10 gallon; everyone on r/aquariums say it's fine, but many on this forum say this will lead to fighting and the amount of guppies I'd need to spread aggression would require more than a 10 gal.

- I was set on shrimp until I gave more thought to travel arrangements. I know they're very sensitive to water parameters, and the nice folks at r/shrimptank told me I'd be better off rehoming them before I leave. I fear I might get too attached though, and in any case I'd want to rehome them with a friend or someone else I trust, but I can't think of anyone who would take them. If anyone has experience travelling with shrimp (a small group, since I'd only get females), I would welcome your input.

Please let me know what you think of this and help me make my decision!

I would avoid dwarf gourami. Its estimated that 1/3 of dwarf gourami sold in the aquatics trade are infected with dwarf gourami disease. Its 100% fatal, no known cure, and once its in your aquarium the only way to get rid of it is to break everything, disinfect and start over. Otherwise you risk the disease infecting fish forever more. Its just not worth the risk unless you can quarantine for an extended period so you can be sure you didnt buy an infected fish.

Guppies and bettas arent considered good tank mates. Bettas are very territorial and the finage on guppies are very likely to trigger the betta into a killing spree. I remember one member even went to the effort of putting a divider in the tank to keep the betta away from their last guppy and the betta jumped the divide, killed the guppy and jumped back to its own side. It will all come down to the temperament of individual fish, you might away with it, but bettas and guppies are at the high risk end of the spectrum.

Bettas are carnivorous. If they get a chance at a shrimp supper they will take it. They probably arent to be able to make a meal of a healthy adult, but baby shrimp will definitely be on the menu and when an adult moults its at risk. It will come down to that temperament factor again. A bad tempered betta will just not tolerate living with anything. Shrimp are expensive betta food.

Keeping bettas with other fish and shrimp is always a risk. They are perfectly happy on their own. Adding other fish and shrimp into the tank is for your benefit, not the bettas. There are fish that are less risky, but guppies and gourami and at the other end. A snail should be safe if you want some other point of interest.

Sorry if the post was unclear, but I am planning on choosing ONE of the options listed only! I have a lone betta in a 10 gal and he is very happy on his own and would probably murder any tankmates :) so I am aware that I cannot mix these species, I am just trying to decide which is best for my new empty tank. Understood about the gourami!

10g would make a good guppy tank and shrimp tank. You could go with a honey gourami tank.

This is my 15g guppy, shrimp, honey gourami tank.

k7vEee1.jpeg

Beautiful tank! Would you say 5-6 male guppies would be a good group size? And do you have any opinions re the hardiness of these fish when it comes to travelling with them?

Guppies are as hardy as any other fish. If you take the proper precautions travelling shouldn't be an issue. They probably travelled halfway around the world before they got to the store.

Just an FYI; You need to check with the country you are moving to whether they will accept the fish you are bringing. Many countries have rules about bringing in fish and may require either quarantine or health certificate from a veterinarian. ( Stupid, I know, but not every country wants domesticated fish to get loose in their native waterways. ) You also need to consider that water is not the same everywhere so you may face real challenges bringing your fish to another country instead of getting new fish locally that are already adapted to the local water.

Hope this helps. (y)

Just an FYI; You need to check with the country you are moving to whether they will accept the fish you are bringing. Many countries have rules about bringing in fish and may require either quarantine or health certificate from a veterinarian. ( Stupid, I know, but not every country wants domesticated fish to get loose in their native waterways. ) You also need to consider that water is not the same everywhere so you may face real challenges bringing your fish to another country instead of getting new fish locally that are already adapted to the local water.

Hope this helps. (y)

Yes! Preliminary research on the country I am moving to shows that I am allowed to take in 'ornamental fish' without issues, but obviously I'll do more research. And that's true about the water, which is why I am hesitant about my original plan of neocaridina and am wondering about the hardiness of fish other than bettas. Thanks for your input!

Since you seem pretty knowledgeable about guppies I just wanted to ask one last q. If I get them I am planning on all male group, probably 5. To travel, would I have to keep them in separate containers or would they be okay together in the same one? I feel like carrying 6 different bottles of fish (5 guppies + betta I already have) might be a bit much and it's holding me back

Guppies are as hardy as any other fish. If you take the proper precautions travelling shouldn't be an issue. They probably travelled halfway around the world before they got to the store.

Sorry, meant to reply to you in my last comment

Yes! Preliminary research on the country I am moving to shows that I am allowed to take in 'ornamental fish' without issues, but obviously I'll do more research. And that's true about the water, which is why I am hesitant about my original plan of neocaridina and am wondering about the hardiness of fish other than bettas. Thanks for your input!

As an exporter, I was faced with a number of issues from foreign countries so you always want to check, check and check again and then make sure you ASK a person, not the internet, in the country to make sure what you were reading is legit. If nothing else, you can also say " I SPOKE with XXX and he/she said it was okay. " :whistle: ;)

Hardiness of fish is going to depend on the water they are coming from. While some fish can adapt to any water, others do better in some water but not other water so it's always best to get fish locally so that you can see how they are doing in the local water. In my own experience, I moved from NJ to Florida and brought along fish I was breeding in NJ. They adapted to Florida's water for living but never bred again. A chemical analysis of the water showed it was dramatically different than the water they came from. I got the same species of fish from my area in Florida and they bred in the local water like rabbits. (y)

As for the live sponge filter you are bringing along, the biological bed in there needs oxygen to survive so you only really have 24-36 hours before it starts to die off and create an anaerobic condition which will make the sponge potentially dangerous to restart with fish in the tank.

Just curious, how do you intend on getting that much liquid on to a plane or are you traveling by other means?

As an exporter, I was faced with a number of issues from foreign countries so you always want to check, check and check again and then make sure you ASK a person, not the internet, in the country to make sure what you were reading is legit. If nothing else, you can also say " I SPOKE with XXX and he/she said it was okay. " :whistle: ;)

Hardiness of fish is going to depend on the water they are coming from. While some fish can adapt to any water, others do better in some water but not other water so it's always best to get fish locally so that you can see how they are doing in the local water. In my own experience, I moved from NJ to Florida and brought along fish I was breeding in NJ. They adapted to Florida's water for living but never bred again. A chemical analysis of the water showed it was dramatically different than the water they came from. I got the same species of fish from my area in Florida and they bred in the local water like rabbits. (y)

As for the live sponge filter you are bringing along, the biological bed in there needs oxygen to survive so you only really have 24-36 hours before it starts to die off and create an anaerobic condition which will make the sponge potentially dangerous to restart with fish in the tank.

Just curious, how do you intend on getting that much liquid on to a plane or are you traveling by other means?

Yes, I will for sure make plenty of phone calls and fill all necessary forms. I am very attached to the betta I already have, and I know he is very hardy. I rescued him from pretty awful conditions he spent his entire life in, and he not only survived but apparently never got ill. I also did a fish-in-cycle with him (emergency situation), so I know that if my seeded sponge filter no longer works I could obtain media from a fish store and establish a cycle again.

I am definitely wary of the impact water changes can have on them. I know my Cornelius would be fine as long as I keep a close eye on his params, so I am asking about the hardiness of the other fish I am less familiar with. I am not planning on breeding but definitely don't want to harm them.

I am travelling by plane and will be bringing them on my carry-on. Border control makes exceptions to the 150 ml liquid limit for things like baby bottles, medications, and live fish. For the UK, I just need to get a health certificate beforehand. TSA, which is usually the strictest regulatory agency, states "Live fish in water and a clear transparent container are allowed after inspection by the TSA officer" (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security...live-fish#:~:text=Live fish in water and,page.)

Thanks for your perspective as an exporter, it is very valuable to me. I will be making tons of phone calls to ensure I am missing nothing.

Back
Top Bottom