Guppy vs. Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moncakat

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 10 gal tank with a few guppies, neons, a skirted tetra, and clown pleco. I've been searching for a much larger tank (over 25 gal, no particular size... Depending on the price). So here's my question: Should I continue with the guppies or go for some larger fish like cichlids? Also, what would I do with the guppies if I were to get the cichlids?! What kind of cichlids do you suggest... I'd also like to get something like peacock eels. Would you also attach pics of your guppy tanks and cichlids to help me? Should I go the easy way and continue with the pretty easy to care for guppies, or get some cooler, larger, more aggressive fish?

U could always give guppies to a local fish store if they accept them. But if u where gonna go with cichlids i would stick mine like this
Bumble bee cichlid
Electric yellow cichlid
Kenyi cichlid
And maybe a albino bichir if u have room I have one and there awesome

Thank you! Can you attach a picture, if not... That's ok!

Ah man I wished u asked earlier I had a all African cichlid tank but now turned it into more like a aggressive predatory tank lol I can still send u a pick of
My layout if u would like

Yea that's a perfect example it looks like she has some electric blue johanssii cichlid a couple acei and some other one not sure if I spelled those right

The yellow ones are albino labs. Pretty cute little ones and so fast!!! Still just young ones. The rest are close to 8 -9 months or so

Ha surprisingly no they don't. They stick to themselves. But was thinking other day re home might need to happen as the others do quite a bit

If you want cichlids go for at least a 55 when you upgrade. You can fit a bunch in there. Anything smaller will be severely limited. I wouldn't put a bichir in with Malawi cichlids either. If it's a smaller tank you could do dwarf cichlids

Malawi are aggressive kind bichirs do hold there ground very good trust me I've always had them.

I always double the requirements for the filtration I have found cichlids to be dirty and have a huge bio load so for a 55 I filter for 110 if I have 150 I filter for 300 I just try to slow the flow otherwise everything spins fast. And I always use canister filters in the media i like the bio balls on at least two chambers and I love using carbon don't have too but it takes the smell away

So you can either rehome your current stock of goldfish or leave them in the 10g and just start a cichlid tank either some dwarf cichlids or Africans either or it depends what your getting. If your going to base it on the tank you get wait to get it than research what can live in said tank

Back
Top Bottom