Any success in keeping a male and female guppy together with no harassment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

44556j

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am aware that keeping males and females together is not recommended because the males will harass the females. I would like to know if anyone was able to successfully keep a mature male and female guppy in a tank together with no harassment. I would also like to know if there is a possible issue with mature female guppies harassing mature male guppies.

Thanks

Many people have success keeping male and female guppies together. Males will normally harass females, but keeping a ratio of 1m/4f will keep harassment of a single individual female to a minimum.

Its possible for a female to harass a male also if you have too few males.

It will all come down to the temperament of specific individual fish. Some fish are just jerks.

Many people have success keeping male and female guppies together. Males will normally harass females, but keeping a ratio of 1m/4f will keep harassment of a single individual female to a minimum.

Its possible for a female to harass a male also if you have too few males.

It will all come down to the temperament of specific individual fish. Some fish are just jerks.
Thanks, do some sexually mature male guppies not harass the sexually mature females or is it always an issue with guppies unless they are in a group?

Thanks, do some sexually mature male guppies not harass the sexually mature females or is it always an issue with guppies unless they are in a group?
When it comes to all livebearing fish ( Guppies, Mollies, Platies, Swordtails, etc.) males will always be trying to breed with the females unless they are sick. lol This is why you really should have multiple females to give the other females a rest. Females can control successful fertilization but they can't stop the males from trying.

Back
Top Bottom