Halp ! Complete Newbie to cichlids, having problems after 6 weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samspade

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, have bought the following 6 weeks ago and started my Aquarium

2 x Maingano
2 x electric yellow
2 x Livingstoni
3 x Dogtooth (i think, they look like these)
2 x Small orange
2 x catfish.

Now they were all bought from an aquarium and the owner told me that i chose a good combination.
4 weeks ago, i started having some problems though.

one of my Maingano died and i found it sitting behind one of my decorative caves, now after reading information online, i think she was killed because she wouldn't mate with the other one who was a male.
i still freaked out and changed 25% of water, got Ph up to blue on my tester ( which is where i was told by the aquarium owner to get it ) and did an ammonia test which came back at zero, i also went and bought another maingano which i thought was a female.
2 days later, my original maingano started having what looked like 10 second seizures, and it seemed paralyzed at his tail. it ended up dying, so i took him back to the aquarium, and he told me that he had been attacked and killed, he said the fish looked round and healthy, but showed me attack marks on it.
We both decided that i should venture away from buying another Maingano to avoid more heartbreak, so i settled on a red emperor.
For the last week, my male electric yellow had been sitting behind a formation, right under my heater and would sit there like he was protecting that area, i put it down to him protecting his area. that was until yesterday morning when i noticed what looked almost like a scratch just under his eye ( More like a bite ). i just thought he had been nicked.
When i got home last night, my poor yellow looked like he was trying to avoid light at all costs, and was trying to hide his head where ever he could, this was when i first noticed that it looked like all his fins had being practically eaten away/shredded.
The poor thing looks like he's trying to rest, but i think he is being bullied significantly, i checked images of finrot, but it didn't seem to be that ( i'm unsure, complete nube to all this !) his fins had been sized down significantly in the space of a few hours, but there was no red blood mark at his fin.
i turned off the light in the tank just to help him be comfortable, and left the light off for the night.
This morning when i woke up, i struggled to find him, but i managed to. i thought he had died, but when i went to scoop him up with the net, he darted off.
i managed to grab him with the net so i can check him out, and he looks like he's been bitten on one side of his body multiple times, and he now has a blood line towards his tail.
Does this just sound that i've unluckily bought very territorial fish, or does it sound like something more sinister ?!
My tank size is approx 60cmx30cmx40cm ( i'm at work, so cant give exact measurments) has an internal filter, heated at 26 degrees celcius.
The Electric yellows colour is still bright, i didn't notice anything wrong with his eyes, only thing is that i noticed he looked abit smaller than the other fish this morning.
He also hasn't probably eaten for the last two days.
Are there any pointers i should try ? should i just take this fish to the aquarium and see what he says it is ?
It's really starting to annoy me because i bought my fish to help me relax, but i've been stressing out for the last week worried that i've got some bug in my aqaurium !
30% Water change was done twice last week to lower ammonia to complete Zero, was at .5 before water change.
I will post pictures when i get home tonight of tank set up, as well as pics of my fish and sick fish.

Livingstonii and Electric Yellows are not a good mix I thought. I thought Linvingstonii's are one of the most aggressive of all Malawi Cichlids whilst the Yellow Labs are one of the most peaceful.
Also your tank is way too small for these fish. You need a 4ft tank minimum and yours is half that size.

You really need a tank of around 150 gallons for a Livingstoni.They get to an adult size of 10" and are predatory fish so smaller fish could end up on the menu.I would not advise feeding it any live food as this will trigger its predatory nature and you will start to lose your small fish.
Here is a good article on Livingstoni.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/n_livingstonii.php

Hope this helps :)

Am now home, unfortunately the Electric yellow didn't make it , went up to the aquarium and the owner told me that the fish had been attacked.
The Livingstoni have actually seemed to be the more placid of the light.
I have no idea, as i said, this was a spontaneous hobby which started 6 weeks ago, but i've started taking it quite serious.
I will eventually upgrade to a larger tank as the fish grow.
I have 2 bullies in the group, The maingano is definately the biggest bully, the red emperor also is a bit of a bully.
Will take photos now of the tank just incase i get corrected on any of the fish !

These are the pictures, if they arent here, my apologies, i'm using my iphone to do this

Attachments

• image-1145109879.jpg
    image-1145109879.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 92
  • image-4080624563.jpg
    image-4080624563.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1507312706.jpg
    image-1507312706.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 83
  • image-688401136.jpg
    image-688401136.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 86
  • image-348109421.jpg
    image-348109421.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image-2138160728.jpg
    image-2138160728.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3830866838.jpg
    image-3830866838.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 73
-Do you have any idea what that car is made of? Reason being it may not be aquarium safe.
-You need a lot bigger of a tank for some of those fish, most african Cichlids grow fast.
-They need a lot of hiding places more then what I can see in your tank.
- with these type of fish you have to be very careful how you stock them or they will nip and tear eachother apart. You have very aggressive and peaceful Cichlids mixed up without enough space and hiding places for them.I would say this is the cause of your problems.

The car was bought from the aquarium, unsure of what it's made of.
As well as the car, i have 2 ceramic pots which i cracked and sanded the sharp edges, and i have 2 artificial half logs which i bought from the aquarium and some artificial plants.
I can already see that my tank is getting small for my fish, so i may just buy a larger tank soon. Will just need to hang on till i can afford it !

Back
Top Bottom