He’s healed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jfussell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In February we went on a trip and left our four-year-old Oscar (Ollie) in the care of another. When we returned we found him nearly dead from fin rot & hole in the head. He had a deadly looking white scum on his body which i later identified as calcite. Seems our caretaker had fed him feeder fish and they had not been properly medicated...they apparently had parasites too.

We just couldn’t let go of our beloved fish. He had lost swim bladder function and was upside down at the bottom. I did an immediate water change not worrying about stress because in the condition he was in he was nearly gone already.

Then I begin a medical routine of alternating Melafix, purified epsom salt, General Cure, and antibiotics. One week turned into two, two into three, and I’m happy to report that after a nearly 5 months of therapy water changes and TLC he’s completely recovered. The hole in the head manifested on his bottom gill plate. The wound was pronounced. It took weeks to heal over. We could see the swim bladder healing and he was able to turn over but was very little lateral fin function. He could stay upright but could not swim straight. He had flop in addition. We continue the medical course of treatment. Slowly he righted himself, swimming erratically for very short distances. But we could see he was getting stronger every day!

Today I can report he is 100% recovered. I want to thank the North Carolina Fish and Wildlife Department friends who advised me on his care. Most are experts on wild game fish. Their expertise helped tremendously and some keep aquariums as well.

Ollie has been fighting himself in the glass which is a sure sign that he’s well. I got him a 6 inch PVC connector as a “get well” present which he has made his new play toy, he’s been busy rolling it around the tank. That’s how I know he’s 100% recovered here’s his picture down below.

Thank you all also for your advice & prayers.

Yours sincerely,
Dr. John Fussell

Attachments

• IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom