Help ID cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicka

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting rid of all my female cichlids and need to know if this one is. I purchased it as a male red empress but it doesn't seem to be getting any colouring. Should I just wait awhile or is it defiantly a female? If it is a female, is it a female red empress and they have just given me the wrong gender?

Thanks

Attachments

• image-3305882406.jpg
    image-3305882406.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 145
I'm getting rid of all my female cichlids and need to know if this one is. I purchased it as a male red empress but it doesn't seem to be getting any colouring. Should I just wait awhile or is it defiantly a female? If it is a female, is it a female red empress and they have just given me the wrong gender?

Thanks

You should vent it to know if male or female. How big is it? And yes its a red empress

It's about 4 inches. How do you vent them?

Thank you for the link and all your help. I gave it a shot and its a male. Thanks again.

Thank you for the link and all your help. I gave it a shot and its a male. Thanks again.

No problem haps seem to take a little while to color up and its different for each one. Mine started to color up at around 3" or so. Then one of my other haps started to color up and my empress hardly shows any color now. :banghead:

Now that I look closer, he has some blue on his jaw and a few red flecks on his body.

Back
Top Bottom