Help needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the-8-fishy-gal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a few guppies, and at time of purchasing, I was told they were all male, but one, Potato, seemed like a female, so I had my doubts.

As of right now, it appears that Potato is pregnant, unless it is just fat. I am concerned, as if Potato is female, and pregnant, the babies might not live too long, since my tank is a 3 in one with 3 tanks connected, and there is a beta fish on the other end. Do I crack out another tank, and place potato in it, just in case?

https://ibb.co/Fzp6TCf

(I do not know if the image will work. The image is of Potato, looking round like a potato, with the possible father in the background)

Last edited:
It's a male. Unfortunately it may also be a male filled with intestinal worms to be that bloated. Do you see it Defecate? Is the poo white and stringy? Was this pic taken after the fish had eaten or before the first feed of the day?

Potato has been defecating, Potato is fed at around 8pm of a night, and he defecates around 8am the next morning. (12 hours to defecate after eating). The poo is usually like an orange (the food is flakes, and it is commonly orange and green flakes), but there is breaks in the poo, and the poo is surrounded by a thin white layer. The photo was taken a few hours before the daily feeding.

Potato has been defecating, Potato is fed at around 8pm of a night, and he defecates around 8am the next morning. (12 hours to defecate after eating). The poo is usually like an orange (the food is flakes, and it is commonly orange and green flakes), but there is breaks in the poo, and the poo is surrounded by a thin white layer. The photo was taken a few hours before the daily feeding.
So the fish has always been that round?

So the fish has always been that round?

Look, the fish has always been on the larger side of things (hence the name Potato). But over the past say 1 or 2 months, potato has grown a fair bit, (around about an extra 2mm of belly). So he's grown a fair bit. That's why I was concerned, any clue as to what might be going on?

Look, the fish has always been on the larger side of things (hence the name Potato). But over the past say 1 or 2 months, potato has grown a fair bit, (around about an extra 2mm of belly). So he's grown a fair bit. That's why I was concerned, any clue as to what might be going on?

If you are seeing " normal" feces ( which you said you were), that's just bad genetics and a physical deformity. I would hesitate to breed or let that fish breed to carry on the deformity to future generations. That's not a " normal" Guppy physical trait ( as you can see by the other male in the picture. )

If you are seeing " normal" feces ( which you said you were), that's just bad genetics and a physical deformity. I would hesitate to breed or let that fish breed to carry on the deformity to future generations. That's not a " normal" Guppy physical trait ( as you can see by the other male in the picture. )

Ah. thanks for that my friend. I'm glad to hear that potato should be all good. Thanks for spending your time helping me out, I'm r3eally grateful.
I'll make sure I don't introduce any females to the tank, as a precaution.

Once again, thankyou. :)
Have a good rest of your day/night.

Ah. thanks for that my friend. I'm glad to hear that potato should be all good. Thanks for spending your time helping me out, I'm r3eally grateful.
I'll make sure I don't introduce any females to the tank, as a precaution.

Once again, thankyou. :)
Have a good rest of your day/night.

No problem. That's what we are here for. :)
You do the same. (y)(y)

Back
Top Bottom