Holding Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trustemedia

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, what behavior occurs when a cichlid is holding? I'm suspicious of one, but I have searched this forum and the net and found nothing on holding behavior. I know they hold eggs, fry in their mouths and spit them out and I can make them spit them out by squeezing over a bucket, but nothing about anything else they do. (I still need to read up on these methods).

I have a fish that keeps its mouth shut, chases other fish away, and bounces up and down with its head toward the sand over and over and over, sometimes goes to the back of the tank and sits by the bubbler for a second and then gets up bouncing again and then chases fish away and repeat. Is this holding behavior? Could you tell by my photos? Or is something else wrong with this fish? Could it be holding a big piece of food? Thanks.

77805-albums12169-picture60465.jpg

77805-albums12169-picture60466.jpg

77805-albums12169-picture60467.jpg

From what i can tell in the photos it appears to be holding... when holding they do tend to stay towards the back or by the heater around filter intakes and just out of crowded areas. As it gets further along and maybe even now you can notice a dropped chin sack so to speak as the babies grow . Not eating is another sign of course marking territory and chasing others away

From what i can tell in the photos it appears to be holding... when holding they do tend to stay towards the back or by the heater around filter intakes and just out of crowded areas. As it gets further along and maybe even now you can notice a dropped chin sack so to speak as the babies grow . Not eating is another sign of course marking territory and chasing others away

Thank you. Ive had her 72 hrs. I am a total newbie when it comes to this. First time. My next step would be to note date, watch around 18 days from (what i read), and then.... I guess i need to do some reading as to let release in tank or what, good parents, i have no idea. So im going to research. If anyone has any experience with callochromis stappersii breeding, please share. Thanks!

I wish I could tell you. I really have absolutely no idea. I don't know how to tell for sure. No experience here, so I guess I'll know when fry come out. LOL Or I see eyes in her mouth, I guess. Kind of lost here. I'm watching her. She's still just doing the same thing, bouncing around with her nose to the ground, hanging out by the bubbler actually taking bubbles in, chasing others away. I dd see her eat once, so... don't really know.

Well if she ate shes not holding... you sure she was eating or mayb she just came over and was aerating her eggs looks similar to chewing... wish i still had my video if i can find it ill link it for you

Back
Top Bottom