How many cichlids in a 36 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a link of some that will work in your tank size.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_29g.php

For one little slight correction there are some Africans that can be kept in that tank size.

some of the Cynotilapia afra would work and Pseudotropheus saulosi for mbuna Cichlids.

There are also some Tanganyika Cichlids like shell dwellers that would work.

Some african river Cichlids would work out in that tank size.

Along with many many more

Cyprichromis leptosoma are not at all suitable for a 36 gallon tank.

Kribs are African cichlids.

Some of the Tanganyikan shell dwellers would work in that size of tank. Avoid the larger, more aggressive shell dwellers like L. Hecqui.

As an aside, I don't believe the OP has confirmed that he or she wanted Mbuna for sure. It does not help to jump to conclusions. If the OP is looking to keep Mbuna, I would recommend a larger tank.

Minimum tank size for adults is actually much larger. I have attempted them in a 75 gallon and was later told by a more experienced cichlid keeper that a 6 foot tank would have been preferable.

Do you have experience with them? They are active swimmers that are best kept in large groups. They are also somewhat delicate ime. I must disagree, once again, that a 36 gallon tank would afford them ample room.

We will agree to disagree then, it's besides the point this is not a cyprichromis thread. The fact is yes there are Africans that can be kept in your tank find some you like research size and water parameters and have at it

Not really. If you get 2 of them, they will not thrive, unless they pair. Much rather get 1 instead of 6. They will not be more aggressive at all with 3, they will be much more aggressive at 6, why? because of territorial disputes. I really wouldn't understand why you would put that much fish in that small tank.

Once again they DO NOT pair.

No, it is not a cyprichromis thread (and I am quite aware of the thread topic, thanks), but if I see a suggestion that I feel is inappropriate, I feel the need to say so. If you honestly think that a group of 12 cyps is a good stocking plan for a tank that is 30 inches long, I urge you to do a little more research on the topic.

Back
Top Bottom