How to make a Flowerhorn cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfanatic16

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm wandering the combination of cichlids used to create the Flowerhorn. Maybe even good combinations of cichlids used to create beautiful fishies!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why try to make a hybrid when there are so many awesome cichlids already?

So why not find cool species out of the thousands of them out there and keep their bloodlines pure instead of making a frankenfish that potentially can help ruin species for future generations to enjoy? You won't get much hybrid love on the forum, try asking on monsterfishkeepers...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Also the flowerhorns you see today are the results of years of careful selective breeding, more often than not crosses are uglier than either parent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cross breeding can be dangerous. It's bad enough that fish are mislabeled at pet stores as it is, imagine unwanted mixed species showing up in your LFS. I love Flowerhorns, but I'm sure you don't get a fish like that from random mixing. I don't love Blood Red Parrots, no matter how popular they are. The market has more than enough hybrids IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom