I lost my Tang. community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gillie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I woke up the other morning and found all of the fish in my tanganyikan tank,cooked! My heater went bad and malfunctioned the temp was so high that it didn't even register on my thermometer. I'm so depressed. :(

Look on the bright side; now you have an excuse to get more fish.
What model was the heater? I recently discovered that the titanium heater in my 30 gallon invert tank crapped out. It didn't cook the tank, but the water is only room temp now. The indicator light still shows that it has power but it's not heating, and turning the temp dial does nothing. It's only a few months old...

Sorry to hear it. I'd get a new heater & some more fish in there pronto so you don't have to do a full cycle.

What kind of heater was it?

Visitherm Stealths seem to be the preferred variety these days.

That's terrible! Sorry about your loss. Just out of curiosity, what kind of heater were you using?

toddnbecka: I'm really surprised to hear that about a titanium heater. They're awfully expensive compared to other kinds. Maybe it is still under warranty.

It was an Ebo Jager, I just picked up a Marineland the other day. I put my Geophagus Bahia Red pair and their fry in the tank along with a few Corys and Ottos, so I am going to try to plant the tank.

That does suck... Live and learn.
I'm really surprised that no one has recommended the use of two heaters.

I use and recommend the use of two heaters in 55gal/>, and even in smaller tanks at times...
After all that favorite colony of shellies in your 30gal shouldn't be compromised.

Two heaters, either one just capable of maintaining adequate temp in your average ambient room temp.
If one malfunctions it won't affect your tank enough to be fatal before you notice it, but it will be noticeable enough, giving you time to replace it.

The two together will allow for raising temps for treatments, e.g. ICH.

I also use two thermometers, one near each heater so as to catch a problem early.
I highly recommend the Coralife digital thermometer and for heaters the Won Bros Pro Heat IC Titanium and Visi-Therm Stealth.

Back
Top Bottom