Important Cichlid Question: Krib Owners Read

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishLover14

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to find as much as I can about Kribs. I have browsed a TON of sites and have lots of info but nothing beats firsthand experience. Any advice or tips or comments about them would be VERY much appreciatted. If you have them pics would be awsome too. If you could give tank size, fish you had in the tank with it, that kind of stuuf i would REALLY appreicatte it.
Thanks Everyone!

Dan :)

Get some small kribs and let them grow up and pair off. Then just keep one pair in a tank. They have character and will raise a brood in a community tank if it is big enough and you don't have too many agressive fish in there. Provide plenty of places to hide, some rock work and driftwood.

I think Congo tetras would make good tank mates. Planted out with Anubias plants would round it off nicely.

Kribs are relativley easy to spawn and are extremely territorial at spawning time, but otherwise are relatively tough fish but not dangerous to tank mates.

If you keep only one (assume it is for your 55?) with the other fish you mention in your other post it should be fine. They are African riverine fish and can tolerate a pretty broad range of pH and hardness values, so are adaptable. As Mattrox mentioned they really make a fabulous species tank fish, like in a 20-gal or so, for a pair to set up residence.

I am thinking about getting a 20gal to put a pair of kribs in, would they bother a pleco if it was put in with them when they spawned?

Dan :)

mattrox, or anyone else, would you then suggest getting 4 kirbs (2 male, 2 female) and overstocking a tank until they form definite pairs, and then returning one of the pairs?

Hi Dan,

A 20 gallon tank would be the smallest I would go for a pair of Kribs. Be sure to have plenty of hiding places, caves and plants for them, since they are cave spawners. I would becareful with your pleco during spawning. Kribs are very unpredictable during spawning and can get extremely mean toward other tankmates and even eachother.

would you then suggest getting 4 kirbs (2 male, 2 female) and overstocking a tank until they form definite pairs, and then returning one of the pairs?

Actually, I personally would get one male and 2-3 females and let them pair off, if all your trying to do is get one pair. Once they pair off, I would immediately remove the remaining females, because the winning female will beat up the others to keep her man. That is what I"ve experienced.

Back
Top Bottom