Is this safe?? Rocks in aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DjBootleg

Aquarium Advice Freak
So. I am redoing my aquascape for my 55 G African cichlid tank. About a month ago I did the switch from gravel to sand.. They love it. Not I'm taking out the kiddy or ornaments and stuff to add rocks and making caves with them and what not.

So far I added 6 smaller rocks and made 2 caves.. For the final touch I got 3 more larger rocks to make one final cave. They r bigger like I said. Maybe.. 10 pounds each ??? Others r 3 lbs each. So is it safe to put Em in? Or will the glass not be able to handle it??

You'll be fine, the weight of the water on the bottom of the glass is pretty tremendous and I just pulled probably close to 150 lbs of rock out of my 55

What kind of Africans are you keeping. I ask this because for instance mbuna require a freshwater reef type set up while your peacocks and Haps will enjoy the type of setup you described. I don't know a lot about tang/victorian sp. though.

What kind of Africans are you keeping. I ask this because for instance mbuna require a freshwater reef type set up while your peacocks and Haps will enjoy the type of setup you described. I don't know a lot about tang/victorian sp. though.

Haps are open water swimmers and shouldn't be in a 55gal aquarium or any other 4' tank, and mbunas need the rock work to establish territories and to feel secure

Yeah tbraz based on his description I assumed there was plenty of open water but I've never kept haps anyway I have kept mbuna before and they live basically on rock piles in the wild so setting your tank up correctly isn't two hardi ie just pile up rocks in a way to make a ton of tunnels and hiding spots. I had a pile that met kind of st a point in the middle of the tank that went about 2/3 of the way up. The sand is key also.

And if that little blue stroped sucker was a demansoni your in trouble. It looked more like a p.salousi though.

Back
Top Bottom