Jewels hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CA_BroncoFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
The two jewels i got on sat. are hiding and have been since yesterday afternoon. I turned the light off for a few hours and they came out. I know its a new environment for them and it may take a few days for them to come out but im a little concerned as i have yet to see them eat.

Any thoughts?

Also, i was thinking that maybe i should throw some danios in there as dither fish, but given the nature of the jewels im kinda against it.

they may be in shock of having decent water conditions! do they have plenty of places to hide like caves and stuff? generally, my fish dont get fed for 2-3 days after i bring them home from the lfs or get them from somebody. gives them plenty of time to get settled in

Oh yeah, i even added a few more spots for them last night. I totally didnt think about the shock factor cuz they do kinda look a little shocked i guess. ok cool thanks!!

did you do a nice long drip acclimation when you moved them to your tank? if not, they may need some time to recover. about the danios, id skip that... now if you have some guppy or platy fry, they'll love them

I did not do a long drip acclimation I did the whole noob thing where you don't even put two and two togeather and just toss em in clean water. Wow I had to get to work and I was rushing so i did a dis-service to them but I guess that's what learning is about. Side note though, they are starting to come out but still not moving around a whole lot. Just kinda hiding in the plants all still.

Yeah i've had fish fir a while but I just didn't even think about it. Their water was pretty bad before and I guess the thought didn't cross my mind. Oh well we live and learn

i wouldnt stress too much about it. its done. just keep an eye on them and keep up the water changes. they'll either do fine, or teach you a good lesson.

Back
Top Bottom