Swordtail is stuck upside down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Inq

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
Yesterday I noticed my swordtail fish lying on her side barely moving, so I moved her into a box so the other fish wouldn't bother her. A few hours later, I did about a 60%ish water change because I felt this behaviour was due to an ammonia spike but she has since turned upside down fully and cannot keep herself upright. She is moving a lot more, trying to eat and even attempting to turn herself around. Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do to help her recover?

Attachments

• IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 11
Why do you think its ammonia related? Do you know your water parameters?

First off move the affected fish into a quarantine tank so you can deal with the fish with in isolation of the other fish. Keep the water in good quality with plenty of water changes, raise the water temperature to 78/80f (25/26c) and keep any lighting low. Add aquarium salt to the water. Half teaspoon for every 1 gallon/4 litres of water.

Don’t feed the fish for 3 days.

If you don’t see improvement try feeding your fish cooked peas. Boil or microwave a frozen pea for a few seconds so the consistency is not too soft or too hard. Remove the shell. Your fish may or may not eat the pea.

When you return to feeding your fish avoid any food that floats.

If that doesn’t improve things move onto broad spectrum anti-biotic medication. The effectiveness of over the counter medication will vary depending on your country and whether anti-biotic medication needs vet prescription or not.

You can also try an epsom salt bath. Method curtesy of MJ Gomez.

Get 2 tubs that each hold around 1 gallon/ 4 litres of water. Fill tub 1 with dechlorinated, temperature matched water and 1 teaspoon of dissolved epsom salt. This is your treatment tub. Fill tub 2 with 1/4 water from first tub and 3/4 water from the tank your fish came from. This is your recovery tub.

Gently place the effected fish in the treatment tub for 5 to 8 minutes. Keep a close eye on things. If the gills stop, the fish starts to float on its side or poops move the fish to the recovery tub.

Keep the fish in the recovery tub for 10 minutes to acclimate the fish back to freshwater, before returning it to its quarantine tank.

You can do an epsom salt bath daily for up to a week before it starts to harm the fish.

If your fish shows no sign of recovery 2 weeks after starting treatment then consider euthanasia. Fish don’t always recover from sickness.

Why do you think its ammonia related? Do you know your water parameters?

First off move the affected fish into a quarantine tank so you can deal with the fish with in isolation of the other fish. Keep the water in good quality with plenty of water changes, raise the water temperature to 78/80f (25/26c) and keep any lighting low. Add aquarium salt to the water. Half teaspoon for every 1 gallon/4 litres of water.

Don’t feed the fish for 3 days.

If you don’t see improvement try feeding your fish cooked peas. Boil or microwave a frozen pea for a few seconds so the consistency is not too soft or too hard. Remove the shell. Your fish may or may not eat the pea.

When you return to feeding your fish avoid any food that floats.

If that doesn’t improve things move onto broad spectrum anti-biotic medication. The effectiveness of over the counter medication will vary depending on your country and whether anti-biotic medication needs vet prescription or not.

You can also try an epsom salt bath. Method curtesy of MJ Gomez.

Get 2 tubs that each hold around 1 gallon/ 4 litres of water. Fill tub 1 with dechlorinated, temperature matched water and 1 teaspoon of dissolved epsom salt. This is your treatment tub. Fill tub 2 with 1/4 water from first tub and 3/4 water from the tank your fish came from. This is your recovery tub.

Gently place the effected fish in the treatment tub for 5 to 8 minutes. Keep a close eye on things. If the gills stop, the fish starts to float on its side or poops move the fish to the recovery tub.

Keep the fish in the recovery tub for 10 minutes to acclimate the fish back to freshwater, before returning it to its quarantine tank.

You can do an epsom salt bath daily for up to a week before it starts to harm the fish.

If your fish shows no sign of recovery 2 weeks after starting treatment then consider euthanasia. Fish don’t always recover from sickness.

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, she passed away this morning before I could act on your directions.

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, she passed away this morning before I could act on your directions.

Sorry to hear but you should still explore why you thought it was ammonia because ammonia can damage the gills to the point where they cease to function properly.

Sorry to hear but you should still explore why you thought it was ammonia because ammonia can damage the gills to the point where they cease to function properly.

Before I did the water change, I tested the water and there was some ammonia present which is why I thought it was the cause. Ammonia levels are back to 0 now.

Is this a "cycled" tank or are you in the process of cycling?

Yep, its a cycled tank. The tank was set up a few months ago and the fish have been fine. The only real issue I've noticed is that the tank water turns green sometimes. Could that be related?

I do have an overhead light that's on for a few hours each day.

Yep, its a cycled tank. The tank was set up a few months ago and the fish have been fine. The only real issue I've noticed is that the tank water turns green sometimes. Could that be related?

I do have an overhead light that's on for a few hours each day.

Unlikely. That should just be green algae spores in the water looking to develop. Green algae is supported by light and nutrients ( a.k.a nitrates and phosphates) so you should check those levels.
The concern is why you had ammonia in a cycled tank. Could be from overfeeding, lack of oxygenation or decaying food or fish. If the Ph is under 6.9, it's naturally converted to ammonium which is not toxic to the fish ( vs ammonia) but if the Ph is under 6.9, that's not good for swordtails. You are best to do a full panel of tests to confirm something isn't " off" kilter. That said, it could also have been the fish was old and it was her time. Do any of the other fish in the tnak appear effected or not acting " normal"?

Unlikely. That should just be green algae spores in the water looking to develop. Green algae is supported by light and nutrients ( a.k.a nitrates and phosphates) so you should check those levels.
The concern is why you had ammonia in a cycled tank. Could be from overfeeding, lack of oxygenation or decaying food or fish. If the Ph is under 6.9, it's naturally converted to ammonium which is not toxic to the fish ( vs ammonia) but if the Ph is under 6.9, that's not good for swordtails. You are best to do a full panel of tests to confirm something isn't " off" kilter. That said, it could also have been the fish was old and it was her time. Do any of the other fish in the tnak appear effected or not acting " normal"?

I did a pH test and it came back at 7.1ish but it may have been overfeeding that caused the ammonia spike because a few days before the swordtail started acting the way she did, someone else in my house fed the fish.

About 90% of my tank is just swordtails and none of them appear to be under the condition that was affecting the one that died.

I did a pH test and it came back at 7.1ish but it may have been overfeeding that caused the ammonia spike because a few days before the swordtail started acting the way she did, someone else in my house fed the fish.

About 90% of my tank is just swordtails and none of them appear to be under the condition that was affecting the one that died.

Okay, that points more to this being a single fish situation than a tank caused issue. Tank caused issues usually effect ALL the fish not just one or two. As long as the ammonia went back down to 0 rapidly, I wouldn't be concerned. (y)

Back
Top Bottom