Jumping right in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djhamp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had a community tank (55gal) for over a year now. Started with the "hardy" fish, giant dianos, neons, tetras, added gourami's. Tank has been doing fine but I have had the bug to get into cichlids. So this week I bought a bunch of rocks and built some structure. I have been tying to capture the existing fish but have only got half or so.

petsmart had a great deal on little africans so I bought out their tank. Got 9 1.5" fish, nice variety. They didn't know what kinds or sex so I will learn as I go. I will continue to cull out the other fish and give them away but everyone is getting along so far. The gourami's are the only aggressive fish so far funny enough.

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 106
  • fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 111
  • aquarium.jpg
    aquarium.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 122
The other fish need to go pretty quick, most Africans grow pretty fast and one they start getting into maturity the others won't stand a chance. Post up so individual cichlid photos and we can Id them for you. I would recommend to start doing some research on the fish, because not all of them can go together. Or some will get to big for a 55 so remember research research and research.

I need to get a second net and try herding them. Got a few pictures, whats the trick to getting non-blurry shots?

Attachments

• DSC01498.jpg
    DSC01498.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC01502.jpg
    DSC01502.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC01503.jpg
    DSC01503.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC01506.jpg
    DSC01506.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 103
The first picture is a sunshine peacock
2 looks to be an Ob peacock
3 not sure on the yellow/Orange one and the white one is a albino something

I just try being patient to get clear shots

Thanks! Couple more pictures.

Attachments

• blackfish.jpg
    blackfish.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 102
  • orangefish.jpg
    orangefish.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 100
I want a Red Zebra to go in my mbuna tank. Nice pop of color! I've figured out why zebra is in their name...lol

Wyit is really good at the game called name that/these fish so will see if what I say agrees

The first on could be an acei but not 100% positive.

Last edited:
It's difficult to determine in that lighting, but Andrew may be right. My Acei has the exact markings. Yellow just may not show in that pic.

The third Fish is a Male Black eye fire peacock! :)
I have many of these at about 5" inches will get beautiful colourations in lower light levels. Females stop growing at 3" inches. Are much duller and transluscent.. very prolific breeders!!

Back
Top Bottom