Lake M cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sorry, I should elaborate.
Dwarf mbuna generally start around 2" + providing water conditions are good,
where as some larger species can take as long as 1-2 years

i think these are the larger species. they are not dwarfs i know that much.
they were picked up from the pet store about 2 months ago. and those were the females.
the male is about 4-6 months. and they dont last long at this petstore.
so they had to be pretty young.
but apparently they are breeding and it seems made up to me.
cause im sure the tank isnt 100% as this guy knows nothing.
he thinks he can fit about 60 fish in a 55 gal and wont take my word for it but because he missunderstood the guy at the pet store, so its going to be really overstocked on day soon.
i just know that some cichlids can take a while. so it seems odd that this kind can already have babies.
unless there is something wrong with it.
description sounds like breeding to me. but i was there when this guy bought these girls and it was only like 2 months ago.

Typical breed behavior: They will do the "Cichlid shimmy". Basically it will look like they are being electrocuted. It freaked my mother out the first time she saw it. She thought the heater was electrocuting the tank. The females will hide in rock structures or other hiding spots. They may come out for food but will not eat. You will start to see a bulge on the underside fo their mouth. It will appear like they have an adams apple.

African Mbuna can start breeding fairly young. When they are younger the chances of fry surviving is slim. A few may survive, but it is less likely. How big are the species right now?

umm i would say about 1.5-2 inches at the most.
i was there about a week ago and they werent very big at all.
as compared to some i have seen in the pet store.
i dont want to saysomething unless 100%
and hes a story teller.
lol
anyways thanks for the help any more info would be great

haha
It freaked my mother out the first time she saw it.
lol thats funny, best thing thing seeing someone freak out about the fishies goin nuts!!
he thinks he can fit about 60 fish in a 55 gal and wont take my word for it but because he missunderstood the guy at the pet store, so its going to be really overstocked on day soon.
I can fit 60 fry in a 20 gallon as well.... if you get what i mean ;)
i just know that some cichlids can take a while. so it seems odd that this kind can already have babies.

I'm going to pretty much throw what i said in past posts out the window.... I just had a larger sp. (Dimidiochromis comressiceps) spawn recently that I thought it would take at least a year and 15cm+ growth to reach maturity. but my little girl spawned at around 10cm and 7mnths old with no colours at all and no mature male around.
Odd thing is she spawn for a mature melanochromis cyaneorhabdos male who basically scoffed down the eggs anyway.(thank god)
compressiorhabdos? sounds like something out of "predator"....
I'm just glad my 3 1/2 yr old daughter got to learn how one of my funny mummy mouth brooding fish got to get the old pelican chin!!....

conclusion: Theres alot of fish from malawi that vary in size, attitude, colour and characteristic, do you know exactly what you have??
I guess anything is possible...sorry wish I could help more.. :(

~Matt.

fire mouths.
colbot blues,
bumblebee
orange ones yellow ones
and albino
blue zebra kinds.
so thats what he said.
either way i still think its early even for if you say seven months.
those are just the colors and such but it is helpful.
anyways
i went there and looked for myself. and in fact it is holding. i only seen one baby tho.

Back
Top Bottom