Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lethargic johanni

Fish went in Friday after everything was perfect. Johanni started flashing against the rocks a little bit but nothing too excessive. Now he won't take food and seems to want to just nap in a cave. I'm new to this. Help. 2 of the other 7 fish are pacing the side of the tank as well but still eating. Doing a 25% change tomorrow. Noticed the flakes I'm feeding them are high in protein

Old 11-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update: lights out at 10:15 and he began swimming around the tank. Will continue to monitor his behavior and switch to a plant based diet. Maybe I'm just a paranoid new fish owner.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update 2: 11am. A little more active but white stringy poo. Have water ready for a 20% change. Is there a less stressful way to change the water besides siphoning out the old and pouring in the new? Any other course of action I can take?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Actually water changes aren't stressful to fish but benificial... I Do 30-50 % in all my tanks about every 5 days. When I Do big cleans can be up to 75%( everything out of tank but fish). Your benificial bacteria is in your filter media mainly and your substrate, NOT the water. Try feeding some blanched deskinned peas. ( or green beans) either one can be soaked in some garlic with helps with many ailments.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks. 3 of my fish have had white stringy poo. My johanni who looked sick, my rusty and now my giraffe. The latter 2 aren't showing any illness signs so I'm assuming it's the protein rich diet about about to lay off.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

White stringy poo I believe can also be a sign of internal parasites. I've NVR had to deal with that but have read others posting about it.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did a 20% change and will be doing another tomorrow. The johanni doesn't look great but a little better would be a fair to say. All the others seem fine. I haven't fed them in 2 days hoping they pass whatever's bothering them out.

Tags
johanni, lethargic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com