Lost fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmats

Aquarium Advice Freak
I set up my tank a few weeks ago and stocked it with Africans. Last week I lost one fish, and yesterday I lost two. Every time I check my water everything is fine. The temperature is correct also. I don't know why I am losing fish. Also, my favorite fish hasn't eaten anything in 3 days and he just sits at the bottom of the tank. He used to be the most active. Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418406399.330193.jpg

When you say water is ok what exactly are you testing for? Are you doing full Ph, Amonia, nitrite and nitrate?

If your sure your water quality is good(actually checking with a quality liquid test kit) then I'd would assume it's a digestive issue.

The most common signs of Bloat are being reclusive, lethargic, spitting food, stringy white poop, and a sunken belly...rarely do the fish actually bloat up. I would suggest a couple of rounds of Metrozoidale, I use Parasite Clear by Jungle. If the situation progresses then I'll turn to Clout which is a nasty medication combination which is for emergency purposes only IMO. If the fish is spitting food and refusing to eat I'd start treating immediately. It you don't have the meds you can also dose Epsom salts at 1tbs per 5g slowly over a few hours time, until the tank is treated.

During this time of 4-5 days do not feed the fish or turn the lights on as Metrozoidale is effected by light. Treat the tank for 2 days then perform a 30-40% water change and dose again at full strength.

Afterwards the cause must be addressed, the most common reasons are stress, poor food choice as in low quality high protein, and to much salt.
Improper diet is in my opinion one of the largest causes of death in Mbuna.

I'm positive the water is correct. I did use a liquid test kit. All of the other fish in the tank are fine. There is just one fish who isn't eating and is acting weird. I feed them omega one cichlid pellets. You think it is the good? Over feeding?

Or a parasite? If it is a parasite I will go and pick up the proper medication. If I Medicate the fish and it is not what we think it is will the medication kill the fish?

Low activity, just like the one in my tank now. Then they seizure (at least it looks like a violent seizure) and then they die.

I'm not sure. Couple of days???

I got it tested yesterday at the LFS. Nitrates were both 0ppm and ph was 8.0 temp is 76 degrees.

I got it tested yesterday at the LFS. Nitrates were both 0ppm and ph was 8.0 temp is 76 degrees.

Something isn't right if there are no nitrates, unless heavily planted that's impossible. Did you mean ammonia and nitrites?

Yes. There are no plants. The guys at the LFS said the water is perfect for Africans though and said whatever it is that is killing the fish can't be the water. I think I will just try not feeding for a few days? I don't know...

Lfs will tell you what ever they have to to make sales most times. Do you own your own test kit? How did you cycle the tank?

I don't own my own kit. I used to but I got rid of it (big mistake) and I don't have the money right now to get one. I did recogniZe the colors in the test tubes though when they were testing the water and everything did look good. When I set up the tank I let it run for a week before adding any fish. I have a 75 gallon tank with a fluval 406 canister.

Sounds like your tank is cycling to me, next purchase should be a quality test kit IMO. Did you add any seeded filter media? Did you monitor your cycle or just throw in fish?

I was thinking it had to do with the nitrogen cycle but i wasn't positive. That does sound like the issue though. I don't know how to check it so I just waited a week and threw some fish in... How do you know when the cycle is over?

Check out the articles on this forum, there is lots of good info on cycling a tank

Back
Top Bottom