Malawi eye biter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garfy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have :

2 x cobalt zebra's
1 x red top ice blue zebra
2 x yellow lab's
1 x albino zebra
2 x cuckoo catfish

These fish are all around 3.5" to 4"

All in a 125 g tank

I rather fancy a Malawi eye biter

Would it be ok in this tank?

I've had two over the years, the first male was fairly docile where the second male was an absolute terror with the other mbuna and killed alot of fish. So just like any other fish its hit or miss on their behavior. Tank size your in good shape and your understocked with decent size fish as well. I say buy him but don't buy two males since that won't end well.

Last edited:
I highly recommend them and with your set up I certainly would, just be careful to watch for aggression since they are obviously predatory fish. Good luck and let's see some pictures after purchase.

If you decide against him you are understocked with your other mbuna and certainly have a good amount of space for more fish.

Probably not the best to keep malawi haps such as eye-biters with malawi mbuna species.

Malawi eye biters (d. compressiceps) max out at nearly 12" so any small mbuna's (< 2") that happen to be in the tank by the time it's that size may end up as a snack.

My red top ice blue and a cheeky yellow lab trying to get in on the picture

Attachments

• image-2502640432.jpg
    image-2502640432.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 142
  • image-506044720.jpg
    image-506044720.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 132
Like Hukit said they are predatory fish i would put them in the league as devils if you can keep them calm all is good if not they will wipe your tank out

IMO best kept on their own

Thanks Paul I may be reconsidering this plan and just getting a few more mbuna's maybe a few golden malawi's they look very good.Or are they too aggressive?

Thanks Paul I may be reconsidering this plan and just getting a few more mbuna's maybe a few golden malawi's they look very good.Or are they too aggressive?

I carnt see any problems with then but to to honest cichlids as a rule when mixing or cross mixing come to think of it all one sort like Malawi anyone can have probs in a word they are just like us 1 in 10th will be fine its number 11 thats the problem (we carnt like everyone) if you get my drift
If you want give me the names of the fish you want and i will look into it a bit deeper for you

But on that note i also think it depends on the fish and when you put them in the tank i thought Along time ago that the Oscar would not have a problem with other fish but he was close to dieing from my red devil but he was in the tank first so it was his home

I have a 12" venustus in with mbuna. The venustus was too agressive for my haps and peacocks, but leaves my mbuna alone. The only trouble I have had was when adding new small mbuna to the tank.

I would say that if your mbuna are already grown, and you add a sub-adult Dimi in things 'should' be OK.

Given that adding new mbuna will cause some agression and potentially casualties anyway, I say why not try it.

Back
Top Bottom