Did my disappearing cichlid cause the bacteria bloom??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessek

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I have a 55g cichlid tank and up until 2 weeks ago I had 13 african cichlids all about 3" long
2 blue peacocks
2 yellow sunshine peacocks
2 eureka red peacocks
2 yellow lab mbunas
1 dragonblood peacock
1 albino strawberry peacock
1 OB marble
1 livingstonii
1 red empress

until I noticed one morning that I had a bacterial bloom occur and few days after that I noticed my albino strawberry peacock was no where to be found and i assume dead after its disappearance, the bacterial bloom has been going on now for 2 weeks and showing no sign of improving and I'm wondering could the death of the fish have caused this to be so bad or even the cause at all?
Note. This is an established tank and in the past have had a bacterial bloom but due to over feeding so I'm very careful on how much I feed my fish. There are no plant matter in the tank and I always make sure to dechlorinate the water properly so I can't figure out what could cause the imbalance in bacteria. Much appreciated thankyou

If a fish died in the tank, it will either have decomposed or been eaten and excreted. Either way thats ammonia going into the tank that otherwise wouldnt have been there, and that's nutrients that could feed a biological bloom.

Back
Top Bottom