Malawi...hardness...why oh why didn't I take the blue pill!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, after two weeks of searching, learning new chemistry, finding out some cool things I'd like to try (putting pure sodium in a bucket of water for one :twisted:), facing utter frustration, getting 3 pages of notes and then tossing them out, and otherwise gaining knowledge I would have been better off without, I finally came to a conclusion about Lake Malawi and making my water hard...

Let someone else figure it out!

I looked online and found this site http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php . It is a very basic recipe that involves epson salt, baking soda, and sea salt. I used less epson salt and sea salt (only a teaspoon of each in 5 gallons) to get the gH a little lower than the site recommended, about 11 dGH or ~200ppm. The KH was raised to 12 dkh, or ~215 ppm, which is a little high, so I'm going to add less next week. The resulting pH was 7.8, which is perfect for what I was trying to do. Of course, this makes me wonder how to get the pH up higher when I add less baking soda, but I deal with that next week. HTH!

Li will dance on the surface, Na is not that bad, K is pushing it, and anything under that Rb Cs or Fr get out of the room.

As the link says...it isn't the sodium that's bad...it's the exploding hydrogen gas, and the [acronym="Sodium hydroxide"]NaOH[/acronym] flying everywhere thats not so good. Plus I'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to find some Cesium for sale on ebay. LOL We did this in college...an no we weren't drunk, the organic chem prof was a former explosives expert with the good 'ol US army, and really liked things that exploded, so we took a field trip to a nice empty space.

Much more fun that fussing over grignard reactions.

Back
Top Bottom