Mated Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scubee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am wondering about putting a mated pair (always ate their fry) into a 55gal tank with a 11 inch algy eater. Currently they are in a 29gal and everytime they lay eggs they end up eating the fry, so I was thinking of moving them the next time they lay eggs. Any advise on this?

I am not sure this will cure them. Sometimes if you keep them with other fish, like a school of tetras, it will spur them into protective mode and they won't eat them and will take care of them, but sometimes you will get a pair that are just not good parents no matter what you do.

How many batches have they spawned? Sometimes it takes 3-4 tries before they get the idea.

Also, you might consider leaving them in the 55 with a school of tetras or something, plus the algae eater (potential egg eater, depending on what kind of fish it is), and training them to spawn on a piece of slate propped against the side, which you can remove after fertilization and hatch in the 29.

BTW, Welcome to Aquarium Advice!! :mrgreen:

After re-reading your post I think I misunderstood - are you talking about leaving them in the 29 to spawn, then once they do removing them to the 55? That will work fine, and is a great idea. :D

Get yourself some methylene blue to add once the eggs have been fertilized, and preferably keep the 29 without substrate, and often a bubble stone is a good way to keep the eggs bathed. The trick with methylene blue is to add enough to turn the water a good medium blue color, without being opaque.

Back
Top Bottom