Mbuna and Java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmedic25

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone have any luck keeping Java Moss with Mbuna? I have come to realize that my cichlid tank lacks balance. What i mean is with no plants or only slow growth plants (anubias) nitrates are very hard to control. Im pretty much forced to change 50% every week to maintain 20ppm nitrates. My planted tank has duckweed, water lettuce, java moss, anubias. Ive never read nitrates over 5. Even after a month. Water lettuce crushes nitrates.

I don't have any live plants but I've been wanting to. I'll be interested to hear what people think. I've heard with mbuna's it's only safe to use Anubias and java fern.

CraigMac said:
I don't have any live plants but I've been wanting to. I'll be interested to hear what people think. I've heard with mbuna's it's only safe to use Anubias and java fern.

I agree I just heard safe with java fern and anubias. I also wanna hear if it can!

Cichlids eat all types of moss. Especially since when they are curious and take a quick bite the moss pulls apart and starts to float away. You can also do amazon swords. I just put about 15 plants in my tank hoping that since there is so much they will just leave it alone.

Cool! Is that a fast growing plant? I think that is the key to a nitrate consuming plant. Fast growth
Well, I cant say for sure, I have only had it like 3 or 4 days now. I fastened it to a rock and its hangin in the tank. I can snap a few pics in a little while :)

I've only used java fern and Anubias with no issues. I had those moss balls but had to take them out and return them. They reeked havoc on my filtration system.

Con, Java moss is different then the fern and the moss balls. If it works Ill let you know. We are stocked about the same, so it could be a healthy addition to our tanks. It is a nitrate consuming machine.

Jmedic25 said:
Con, Java moss is different then the fern and the moss balls. If it works Ill let you know. We are stocked about the same, so it could be a healthy addition to our tanks. It is a nitrate consuming machine.

Ok cool! Keep me posted brother, I'm very interested in this.

Well turns out they decided they like the subwassertang... Maybe its because Im fasting them, but probably not :D

When I had Africans, I had tried Java moss and they shredded it. Not so much eating it but it did spend more time floating around and stuck to the filter intake than it did the on the rockwork.

Java moss= fail in my tank....Today there is none left...I only put a small amount in a hefty pinch or so...LOL they must have enjoyed it.

Jmedic25 said:
Java moss= fail in my tank....Today there is none left...I only put a small amount in a hefty pinch or so...LOL they must have enjoyed it.

Ha! I'm learning plants In general, besides anubius, don't fair well in my tank! My subwassertang was completely gone this a.m. and they are picking at and uprooting my newly sprouted onion plants :(

Java ferns and amazon swords also do well. It's what I have in my tank. They don't touch it. I thought they were but then I started adding ferts and they have looked great.

Moss was ripped apart in my African tank and then clogged the hell out of my filter intakes. Wasn't worth the trouble at all..

They don't need great lighting conditions. I have the odyssea 72" t5 6500k. I was noticing the leaves were getting pretty gross so I started adding seachem flourish and they have really came around. Here's some pics of my amazon swords (one that I really hope is going to flower above the surface) and my java ferns.

It's been growing fast. The pic with the roots on the other side of the rock was just added on Saturday night.

Attachments

• image-468182145.jpg
    image-468182145.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 95
  • image-1887156466.jpg
    image-1887156466.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 83
  • image-3459902390.jpg
    image-3459902390.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 110
  • image-2400016376.jpg
    image-2400016376.jpg