mbuna or SA/CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-man02

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 75g tank tht i dont know what to dedicate it to so list some pros cons and what u all would do with it. thanks in advance

I say go discus! But I always suggest them lol. My favorite cichlids are mbuna after them very bright colors but there aggressive as heck from what everyone tells me on here I just started a 55 gal mbuna tank love it but mine aren't mature yet so I haven't got a chance to see there aggression factor first hand yet.

But I would definitely get like 6-8 discus with that tank maybe your favorite type of tetra schooling around with some assorted catfish to clean the bottom and go heavily planted with it I have a 55 gal set up like that and it's my favorite tank by far

New worlds!!!!!!! Everybody has Africans. Not there's anything wrong with that......break the mold!!!!

I say go CA! You won't regret the interaction you and a big mean fish can share. They are super smart and will learn your not just a person who feeds them. My RD is a spoiled little child. If he don't see me for a few hours he starts splashing and smacking the hood. As to say come play with me.

Anyone who says their isn't colorful new world fish just shouldn't be speaking of them. As their are hundreds.

You could do a breeding pair of salvini which are awesome and are next on my list.

But I'm partial to one big mean guy. Trimac/RD have been my all time fav fish to keep. I kept a t-Mac in my 75 wish every day I had kept him.

Aski247 said:
I say go CA! You won't regret the interaction you and a big mean fish can share. They are super smart and will learn your not just a person who feeds them. My RD is a spoiled little child. If he don't see me for a few hours he starts splashing and smacking the hood. As to say come play with me.

Anyone who says their isn't colorful new world fish just shouldn't be speaking of them. As their are hundreds.

You could do a breeding pair of salvini which are awesome and are next on my list.

But I'm partial to one big mean guy. Trimac/RD have been my all time fav fish to keep. I kept a t-Mac in my 75 wish every day I had kept him.

+1 right there. Couldn't have said it any better myself!

Check out geophagus. Several options and beautiful fish.

I keep mbuna, haps and peacocks (Africans or old world) but I like them all. I don't know a lot about new world but with old worlds there are a lot of species and some are very rare and hard to find. Not sure if sa is like that or not, but that's one reason why I like keeping old world.

im liking the salvini and the geophagus. what are some of the stocking list tht i could do with these thanks for the imput and i have mbuna now (in a grow out tank) but i have kind of gotten bored and dont know if i should trade those in or to upgrade. so i guess the stocking on the new world cichlids is kind of the deciding factor. thanks for the input

T-man02 said:
im liking the salvini and the geophagus. what are some of the stocking list tht i could do with these thanks for the imput and i have mbuna now (in a grow out tank) but i have kind of gotten bored and dont know if i should trade those in or to upgrade. so i guess the stocking on the new world cichlids is kind of the deciding factor. thanks for the input

Salvini would be a pair at best but the geos, depending on which ones you go for, could do 3-4.

I have had the same dilemma. I have a 63 gallon tank and was debating SA \ CA or Mbuna.

In the end I have decided to go with a Jack Dempsey and Green Terror. Reason being these fish look amazing and I decided I didn't want loads of fish and with Mbuna they breed easily and didn't want that.

Sorry school started so i have a lot of homework but is a pair of salvini all i can do. So no other tank mates

T-man02 said:
Sorry school started so i have a lot of homework but is a pair of salvini all i can do. So no other tank mates

Salvini are on the mid to highly aggressive side so a pair would be about all you could house in that tank. With adequate filtration of course.

You could go with some type of pleco, or a small school of something (dither).

I'm keeping a very large school of 17 buenes aires tetras and a bristlenose plec with mine, I have 3 medium sized pairs around 3-3.5" in a 72g.

i was thinking some thing like a pair of salvini and some sort of agressiveish schooling fish with a brittle nose pleco.

Back
Top Bottom