Mbunas and haps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADFs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you keep Mbunas and haps in the same aquarium even though they have different diets because although I have heard it is impossible some people keep a malawi community with both...

It can be done- but balancing the proper diets for both types of fish can be tricky. Unfortunately, mbuna really enjoy a high animal-protein diet. The problem is, this can quickly lead to bloat (and dead fish).

spirulina ad NLS combo is the perfect one to feed any malawi cichlid.
but the major concern is the boistrous nature of the mbuna which stresses out the more peaceful non-mbuna easily, leading to ragged fins and short lives.
that being said, there's nothing that can stop an aquarist from experimenting :mrgreen: .

I have researched species and found some relatively peaceful mbunas (eg Labidochromis caeruleus and Iodotropheus sprengerae) .....what is this diet - I know spirulina but whats NLS?

New Life Spectrum is the best packaged food, IMO, for Africans. Finding it is the tricky part.

Thanks for the advice and would you need to supplement the haps diet at all with higher protein foods such as bloodworm?

If you use NLS, that's all you need for protein. bloodworms would certainly be detrimental to mbuna. i have to do some reading to confirm if it's ok with haps. i do know that you should stay out of animal protein. HTH...

I treat with bloodworms and brine shrimp and haven't had any ill effects. It's not the main source of food, that would be the NLS or flake.

Back
Top Bottom