Moving to larger tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gemach7

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Moving from a 30 gallon to 55 gallon. How long to cycle with old filter running, before can move fish.
Current tank
1 german blue ram
5 sterba corys
5 guppies

2 Amazon sword plants

Mostly worried about the ram, currently do daily 5% wc instead of a weekly 20% to keep nitrites undetectable

Will add more fish to setup once im sure tank is stable

Will not be using current substrate.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398099000.448644.jpg
Is more blue than he appears in this picture.

It could take a while, but not necessarily. Get some Seachem stability for one. Vaccum out as much gunk from the current substrate and put it in the new tank. Rinse any old filter media on new filter media. Maybe throw in a couple of cheap goldfish.

Do those things, and use stability you could move your fish over after 3-4 days. You would just need to test the water regularly and watch for any Nitrite/ammonia spikes. And keep using stability, good to have prime on hand to not only to treat any tap\well water, but it can bail you out in an emergency too, give you enough time to do a water change if needed.
An ammonia alert is a good idea too.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398099434.890186.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398099466.416526.jpg

Rams are the most sensitive so I would add then last, and not until I was positive the new tank was stable.

Ok thank you. Will post when its all changed over :)

Really keep an eye on it. Nitrites especially can strike fast and hard, and Rams are really sensitive, especially to Nitrite.

Ended up trading in my blue ram male for a bonded pair of Bolivian rams.

Awaiting a few more pieces of driftwood and plants to grow more.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398377544.481891.jpg

Really keep an eye on it. Nitrites especially can strike fast and hard, and Rams are really sensitive, especially to Nitrite.

Wanted to say thank you, all fish survived the move. Added another school of dither fish in addition to swapping the grb for a male and female bolivian rams.

Back
Top Bottom