My A.Pulcher had enough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
Of being harassed by the meeki. Looks worse than it was but the meeki seems to think twice before approaching the pulcher. Hope the video don't upset any one. And of course I'm keeping an eye on them.

This is exactly why you shouldn't house species that aren't compatible aggression wise in such a small tank with inadequate cover and breaks in lines of sight.

That's just plain stressful on both of those fish and one will end up dead.

Also I give zero poops if it's just "temporary" or a "grow out" , just don't. It's irresponsible fish keeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree I need more cover but you are saying 48 x 12 is too small

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I didn't realize it was a 4' my apologies, it looked smaller.

IMO/E unless there is defined cover/territories on either end of the tank it can be touchy.

This is exactly why you shouldn't house species that aren't compatible aggression wise in such a small tank with inadequate cover and breaks in lines of sight.

That's just plain stressful on both of those fish and one will end up dead.

Also I give zero poops if it's just "temporary" or a "grow out" , just don't. It's irresponsible fish keeping.

Give me some advise then Is the blue acara to aggressive or the firemouth. I can move one to the 75 with 2 7" red spot sevs would that work?

Thorichthys in general are all bark and no bite. They typically only squabble amongst themselves.

Of course there are exceptions.

I didn't realize it was a 4' my apologies, it looked smaller.

IMO/E unless there is defined cover/territories on either end of the tank it can be touchy.

Its a 33 long 48 x 12 x 13. Im not lacking on tanks with some wiggle room. I can move fish around if needed. I was hoping with more cover the 2 would be ok together.

Their are clay pots on the other end with fake plants and the center is open. I do need to put mote drift wood on the other side. The meeki has moved to the other side but I am keeping an eye on them. Ill move the meeki in with the seves if it happens again.

I just ran out and picked up some more decor. What do you think?

Attachments

• 33scape.jpg
    33scape.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 33scape1.jpg
    33scape1.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 89
Looks allot better, add more plants on the sides and along the back when you can.

Thanks Mog
I'm having a thought of moving the pulcher to a 55 and doing meeki only in this tank. If I do this how many total could be in the tank for life with the possibility of a pair forming?

Get 5 more and then keep the best two pairs. Since it's only 30g gallon it would be best suited for one pair but you maybe able pull off two of if can keep the water super clean.

Once you get those pairs you'll need to add something in the middle so they can't see the others corner of the tank.

I've had 3 pairs in a heavily planted 55 and even that was a bit dicey if two of the pairs had eggs/fry at one time.

Get 5 more and then keep the best two pairs. Since it's only 30g gallon it would be best suited for one pair but you maybe able pull off two of if can keep the water super clean.

Once you get those pairs you'll need to add something in the middle so they can't see the others corner of the tank.

I've had 3 pairs in a heavily planted 55 and even that was a bit dicey if two of the pairs had eggs/fry at one time.

Cool thanks. Water changes aren't a problem because I don't have a life....lol.

There ya go! Two 35% a week should do it. Thorichthys like clean water, especially the ones that a closer related to helleri like my Mixteco. What's you temp at on them?

Always good to hear experienced people giving first hand knowledge on stocking rather than having people give over cautious 'advice' based on what they've read on some generic internet website.
This is the way it should be.

I'm not good with the big boys but I have a pretty good handle on the smaller species. I currently have:

- Cryptoheros myrnae
- exCichlasoma salvini, Rio Usumacinta
- Herichthys deppi, Rio Bobos
- Theraps coeruleus, Rio Bascan
- Thorichthys sp. "Blue Mixteco" Rio Almoloya
- Thorichthys sp. "Gold Mixteco" Rio Coatzacoalcos

I'll be getting Cryptoheros nanoluteus, Rio Rabalo here in the next few weeks as well.

There ya go! Two 35% a week should do it. Thorichthys like clean water, especially the ones that a closer related to helleri like my Mixteco. What's you temp at on them?

Right now 86 still thanks to the pasions bringing in ich before he died.

Always good to hear experienced people giving first hand knowledge on stocking rather than having people give over cautious 'advice' based on what they've read on some generic internet website.
This is the way it should be.

I agree . As you can see I didn't attack Mog when he said I had problems. Only corrected tank size.
I hate when people say they want to put fish A and B together but when told not to they say it has been done on YouTube. Why ask if you don't want to know.

Back
Top Bottom