my new home for my multi shelldwellers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davemac

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just doing fishless cycle waiting and waiting... But multies should like new home when it's ready :)

Attachments

• image-1384652459.jpg
    image-1384652459.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 140
tsk5035 said:
Where did you get the shells?

Got some from eBay the neothuama shells came from the lake tanganyika got lucky and a kind german sent me thirty.. So more shells will be stacked on top, fry multis and adult fish using some in main tank... they are really, really hard to get hold of but as soon as they went in my multis were locking jaws over them, they use the normal escargot shells as well they bury some so the fry can swim under the shell bed safe until bigger :)

mfdrookie516 said:
Yep, they should love it... looks great

Cheers, on day 13 of fishless cycle so waiting for nitrite spike to do it's thing be worth it in a few weeks when I move them in :)

If you've got more than one tank, you'll soon learn that fishless cycling takes too long. I haven't cycled a tank in I dont know how long. If I want to set one up, I just pull a sponge out of one of my aquaclears and throw the fish in. Instant cycle. Works so much better that way :)

mfdrookie516 said:
If you've got more than one tank, you'll soon learn that fishless cycling takes too long. I haven't cycled a tank in I dont know how long. If I want to set one up, I just pull a sponge out of one of my aquaclears and throw the fish in. Instant cycle. Works so much better that way :)

Have seeded it with fluval pad in new filter so should not take as long and loads of rockwork from another tank along with shells. Was going to go with prime as loads and loads of people talk about it but I still cannot see how u can acheive a full nitrogen cycle to maintain a large bioload out of a bottle IMO but having never used it I guess I should wait and see maybe, next time.

mfdrookie516 said:
Prime doesn't do anything for a cycle. It's just a wonderful dechlor. It's all I use now, don't ever plan on changing either.

Oh dechlor, I have used api stress coat for a long time got a huge tub may switch when it runs out thanks for good gen :)

Davemac said:
Oh dechlor, I have used api stress coat for a long time got a huge tub may switch when it runs out thanks for good gen :)

I think stabilty by seachem was what I was getting at not prime my bad... have you ever used that stuff? it is a wonder for new tank setups my lfs looked at me funny when I said I was cycling my tank, just use this he said.

Now that stuff... I don't care for it. I have a hard time believing the bacteria are alive. They may be alive when they bottle it up (or may not?), but without oxygen, nitrifying bacteria cannot live. They would also have to have a food source, which they dont. Waste of money IMO

See the 2 faces(look in the shells)

I am in the process of getting my 33 long converted to a multies tank. I have 3 pair hanging out in my 14 gal QT for now. Its cool to see some one else in this arena of cichlid world. most want the big fish (i have those too) but these little guys are freakin fun to watch. I love the community aspect they build after a while. Good luck.

Attachments

• Multies home.jpg
    Multies home.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Multies Temp Home.jpg
    Multies Temp Home.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
calico.100mph said:
I am in the process of getting my 33 long converted to a multies tank. I have 3 pair hanging out in my 14 gal QT for now. Its cool to see some one else in this arena of cichlid world. most want the big fish (i have those too) but these little guys are freakin fun to watch. I love the community aspect they build after a while. Good luck.

Thanks nice looking setup the fish look well at home, I prefer the smaller cichlids largest I have is a five bar and he gets on with all, he is boss of the tank but even leaves fry alone likes his krill and mysis shrimp too much I guess oh and cyclops everyones favourite :)

Back
Top Bottom