my sons new 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

k.mascher86

Aquarium Advice Freak
He wanted a tank like his dad and not a kid tank anymore. Hes 5 yrs old.

ForumRunner_20120727_205518.jpg

Its still cloudy from the sand. His tankmates will be 4 albino cory cats, 4 bolivian rams, 2 kribensis (spelling), and 2 apistogramma agassizii. Hes so excited cause he helped with the water and the rocks and even picked out his own fish........hope hes up for the challenge!

Hes so excited, but i think im more excited that he wants that responsability like dad. Ill be watching the parameters and i set up food quantities in a medicine container that shows the days of the week........until he gets the hang of it

He better. The apistogrammas were 15 bucks a peice and only barely an inch long!!!

Before long he will be posting here on this forum! it's cool he's that into it, my 5 year old occasionally want to feed them but thats about it!

Well it started him just wanting fish in a 10 gal. When our lfs opened they have a full grown flowerhorn and everytime we went in there he would tell mom "when i have a big tank and enough money, i want a fish like that" so what does he pick when i get him a tank? dwarfs! hes a weird one sometimes, moves from one end of the spectrum to the other in a blink of an eye

Glad he picked the dwarves! Flowerhorns are an abomination in my eyes, but that's a whole other topic ;) my suggestion would be to fill out your Cory shoal a little more, say 6-8, and add a mid dwelling dither fish, like bleeding heart tetras, black skirts, Serpae, lemon, etc. Them you can add a top dwelling species, like hatchets or zebra danios. :) I know my 3 year old niece absolutely LOVES my angel fish! She runs up to my tank and looks for him every time, them screams "ANGEL FISH!!!!" when she finds him haha gotta love those enthusiastic kids ;)

Could i get angel fish? i was gonna get some more corys today. +1 on the flowerhorn as well. Hes a great looking fish for a genetic frankenstein!

k.mascher86 said:
Could i get angel fish? i was gonna get some more corys today. +1 on the flowerhorn as well. Hes a great looking fish for a genetic frankenstein!

I think you could get away with an angel in that setup :)

Talked to the owner at the lfs and said no go cause of fin nipping and i didnt want to take that chance. I got a couple more cory cats and two more rams.

For an angel? I think you'd be fine! I have an angel in my tank and I have serpae tetras, which are well known fin nippers, angels can hold their own ;)

That's allot of fish that all live on the bottom of the tank and a 55 doesn't have a very big foot print to form territories. I would go with one pair of one of the types of dwarf cichlids, cories, pleco and a nice school of tetra.

Given enough places to hide, I think it will be fine. They don't develop that large of territories.

That's allot of fish that all live on the bottom of the tank and a 55 doesn't have a very big foot print to form territories. I would go with one pair of one of the types of dwarf cichlids, cories, pleco and a nice school of tetra.

I agree, I would bet there's going to be some aggression issues. Just because they're dwarfs doesn't mean they can't be aggressive.

I decided not to.......didnt want to take the chance of any fish getting harmed. I have 6 corys, 4 bolivians, 2 kribensis, 2 agassizii and 1 teeny tiny bristlenose

Back
Top Bottom