New 29 gallon setup, help with cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanatic88

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if anyone can help me with cichlid compatability? i was wondering if anyone could give me a list of about 4-5 cichlids that stay smaller ( not dwarf ) and wont kill eachother?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try the "Cichlid Discussion" I'm sure that's where all the experts are. ;)

New 29 gallon setup!

I was wondering if someone could give me a list of about 4 or so cichlids that stay kinda small (not dwarf) and wont kill eachother?

i am interested in yellow labs and blue acei.
Will these work together? what r a couple others that would work with them?

With only four I think only yellow labs and that way keep 1 male to 3 females to control aggression any others it will be to hard to keep agrrrssion down. But you could always have 1 or2 more females.

I would forget acei as they need way more swimming space than you can provide.
You may get away with 4 or 5 yellow labs in a 29 but you don't want more than 1 male as there isn't enough room territory for 2 of them.

garfy said:
I would forget acei as they need way more swimming space than you can provide.
You may get away with 4 or 5 yellow labs in a 29 but you don't want more than 1 male as there isn't enough room territory for 2 of them.

ok thanks for the info!
it will be sand substrate with plenty of rock caves made using slate. and then some mexican river rocks. would it b worth it putting fake plants?

ok thanks for the info!
it will be sand substrate with plenty of rock caves made using slate. and then some mexican river rocks. would it b worth it putting fake plants?

Agree with the above. I wouldn't bother with fake plants for the mbuna, they will just pull them up and move them around the tanks as they dig into the substrate. Finding others that will be compatible with them in that small of a tank is pretty tough. I've managed to do a few species in that size of tank, but typically only a single species only. You might look at P. socolofi, which would add some blue. They are generally on the more mild side, although somewhat more aggressive than the labs.

I had a single Labidochromis and a synodontis in a 29 for a few years, and even the 2 alone ended up stunted. They never grew to their full potential, but they are still alive in one of my larger tanks, though they are both now bug-eyed and dwarfed. I currently keep only Kribensis in the 29 gallon and it seems like more than enough for them, but it is a little boring in there now. Some of the shell dwellers would also be a good choice for a 29 gallon.

I do have fake plants in my tank with a sand substrate but like Wy Renegade states they do get dug up.I just reposition them at the end of every week when I do my weekly partial water change.Some weeks they don't get moved though so your call I guess.

FishFanatic88 said:
What are shell dwellers?

It is just as it sounds! They are little cichlids that live inside of shells! They are really interesting and your 29 would be a perfect fit for them. :) Google Tanganyika shell dwellers.

christine2012 said:
It is just as it sounds! They are little cichlids that live inside of shells! They are really interesting and your 29 would be a perfect fit for them. :) Google Tanganyika shell dwellers.

Thanks for the info! i just did some research and they seem very interesting! i am gonna go to 4 or 5 LFS and see if they have them. i will let yall know what i find!

I have a 150 gallon tank a 90 gallon tank a 75 gallon tank and a 29 gallon tank. I only keep Malawi cichlids. The 29 gallon tank is for freshly striped fry and that is it.
A 29 gallon tank is way too small to put adult cichlids of any kind in. Not only will you have problems with aggression but it will be difficult to maintain water quality which will lead to disease. The absolute minimum you should have is a 55 gallon, and that is only if you stick with a few small docile fish.

Back
Top Bottom