New ~60 gal Aquarium finally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
New ~50 gal Aquarium finally

been meaning to upgrade from my 40Gal long to a 55 Gal. That I was getting from my uncle.. (55 was also the 48in long tank)

turns out I got a tank form a guy sat work. it is a 58 Gal tall, need to measure the length, but I got the tank, filter, light, some Driftwood, everything except substrate, heater, stand and a hood.

I will be setting this one up and moving all of my Cichlids to it.

Couple questions:

once I get it filled with water and cycling, would it help to take some of the water from my current tank to get it started?

Also I am thinking of doing Black Sand at the bottom.. what is the best place to get that at?

This new tank will go in my finished basement to keep it away from the sun light that my current tank gets.

There is very little amounts of beneficial bacteria in the water so the best bet would be either run that filter on your current tank to seed it for a couple of weeks or use media from your current filter in the new one, this will almost instantly cycle your new set up.

I use black Tahitian Moon sand in all but one of my tanks and the best place is Drfostersmith since they ship for free.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.. I have not looked at all of it yet, but if the medias are both the same, then I can run a old media from the old tank in the new, but if they are different how do I approach that?

my 40 Gal has a Penguin BioWheel 350, I was told the one I got is a Biowheel as well, but not sure which model (I did not look to close)

going to take a while, not sure if I will buy a stand or build one.. need another heater too. I figure I will set-up the new, move the fish then break down the old tank

I would just run the new one on the old tank until your ready for set up, it's a win/win the old set can't have to much filtration and when the new setup is ready you'll have no cycle issues to worry about.

yeah I was unsure at first, but it does state for Salt and Fresh tanks in the description

Next qeustion is what is the recommended heater?

Well I measured the new tank tonight

30x18x21.. Calculates to about 50 gal not 60 Gal.

it looks smaller then my 40 gal long, but will work nicely..

It cam with a Penguin 350 just like I have but is missing a few pieces and there is no media with it. wonder if the cost of the wheels and the gear for the middle will be more then buying a new filter..

What kind of cichlids are you planning on putting in there? Not much room for most to have their own territories, which may end up in aggression issues.

I have 2 mbunas and the rest I got from a co-worker.. not sure what they are exactly.. in my 40 they seem fine and have been that way for a year so far

032.JPG

Back
Top Bottom