New 90 gal long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently I have my 55 gal tall octagonal with the following stock:

2 yellow labs
2 dragon bloods
1 electric blue
4 still trying to identify peacocks
2 cuckoo catfish
1 bristle nose

I won a new tank on EBay (with the intention to rehouse my goldfish currently in a 17 gal) but am thinking instead of rehoming my cichlids. The new tank is 36x24x24 and I know 4 foot is really better but I'm thinking it's still a bigger footprint than they have now.

Any idea on how fancy goldies would go in a tall tank?

Here's the current tank:

image-3027378395.jpg

image-4155685139.jpg

Attachments

• image-4008091462.jpg
    image-4008091462.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 165
Currently I have my 55 gal tall octagonal with the following stock:

2 yellow labs
2 dragon bloods
1 electric blue
4 still trying to identify peacocks
2 cuckoo catfish
1 bristle nose

I won a new tank on EBay (with the intention to rehouse my goldfish currently in a 17 gal) but am thinking instead of rehoming my cichlids. The new tank is 36x24x24 and I know 4 foot is really better but I'm thinking it's still a bigger footprint than they have now.

Any idea on how fancy goldies would go in a tall tank?

Here's the current tank:

How wide is the 55? Sorry but I can't remember for the life of me. If this tank is wider then the one the goldfish are in then yes I would move them. The goldfish should probably be in a footprint of 36" depending on how many you have. So I would still ne keeping an eye out for that right and cheap 4' tank, to do a switch again. :)

Last edited:
How wide is the 55? Sorry but I can't remember for the life of me. If this tank is wider then the one the goldfish are in then yes I would move them. The goldfish should probably be in a footprint of 36" depending on how many you have. So I would still ne keeping an eye out for that right and cheap 4' tank, to do a switch again. :)

Sorry Andrew, the goldies are in a 24x15x18 at the moment. The 55 octagonal is 27' wide and the same deep and around 32' tall.

I'm thinking about moving the cichlids to the new 36x24x24 and the goldies into the octagonal, and yes as you say, still keeping an eye out for a 4ft when I can.

Oh and I only have 4 fancies :)

Hmmm that changes things lol. I thought we was on the right track till you said that. I believe with fancies your suppose to start with a 20 gallon for one and for each one after that add 10 gallons to each fancie you add. But I could be wrong because they really aren't my type of thing. So now I'm not sure witch is better. Whats your thoughts now?

Yeah, that's why I was thinking about moving the fancies to the 55 gal which would make it fully stocked - will message JLK for advice in the goldies.

I guess what I'm asking is if it would be better for the cichlids to be in the 90 gal, even though it's only 3ft, being larger capacity and a bigger footprint.

The long term plan is the goldies in the 36x24x24 and the cichlids to go in a 48x24x24.

Cichlid wise yes it would be better and they may even calm down some.

Agreed. Bigger the footprint the better for cichlids because it offers more hiding areas for them. They're not as worried about swimming around as establishing territory. However both swimming room and footprint are important. I'm not too familiar with keeping goldfish so I couldn't comment on them.

Let me know what jlk says please.

She agreed that they should be moved to the 55 gal regardless of depth, and that it shouldn't be a problem if they don't have any buoyancy issues, which they don't.

So off to pick up the new tank now! I won't be able to buy a new filter etc until after Christmas, but I'm thinking of getting an Eheim 2217. I have the 2213 on the 55 gal and it's been great. Will this be enough filtration in your opinion?

And lastly, when I have the tank set up with filter, heater, etc and the goldies and cichlids ready to be rehoused, would you recommend I wait and do a fishless cycle, or move some of the cichlids in to do a fish in cycle?

Agreed. Bigger the footprint the better for cichlids because it offers more hiding areas for them. They're not as worried about swimming around as establishing territory. However both swimming room and footprint are important. I'm not too familiar with keeping goldfish so I couldn't comment on them.

Thanks! I'm learning a lot in this forum and sometimes you think you're on the right track but it's good to get a second opinion :)

She agreed that they should be moved to the 55 gal regardless of depth, and that it shouldn't be a problem if they don't have any buoyancy issues, which they don't.

So off to pick up the new tank now! I won't be able to buy a new filter etc until after Christmas, but I'm thinking of getting an Eheim 2217. I have the 2213 on the 55 gal and it's been great. Will this be enough filtration in your opinion?

And lastly, when I have the tank set up with filter, heater, etc and the goldies and cichlids ready to be rehoused, would you recommend I wait and do a fishless cycle, or move some of the cichlids in to do a fish in cycle?

It would only give you like 2-3 times turn over, witch would maybe be ok if your keeping the same stock that you have now. If you end up getting more Cichlids I'd get another to move up to 6-10 times.

I've never kept the filter your running but you could break up some of the media between both filters to have a mini cycle while doing a fish in cycle. Or run a second filter on the established tank till you get the other one set up.

Well back to the drawing board. The 36x24x24 tank I won on EBay and picked up is actually 36x18x18 - big difference in volume. It was a fairly young girl selling it and she had used it for cichlids but just not big enough for my guys

Anyways, I have decided to use this as the new tank for my goldies which will make it fully stocked and will have to keep looking for a new (min 4 foot) tank for the cichlids. Sigh. This is an addictive hobby!!!!

Well back to the drawing board. The 36x24x24 tank I won on EBay and picked up is actually 36x18x18 - big difference in volume. It was a fairly young girl selling it and she had used it for cichlids but just not big enough for my guys

Anyways, I have decided to use this as the new tank for my goldies which will make it fully stocked and will have to keep looking for a new (min 4 foot) tank for the cichlids. Sigh. This is an addictive hobby!!!!

Lol ya you just wait it will get worse I have had several big Sterilite containers full of stuff, a few extra tanks cabinets full of stuff and stuff in my stand I don't use lol

Krylon? Is that a brand name? And is it a spray paint? Will have to see if it's available in Au.

Yes it is the brand name and it is available as a spray paint. Not sure if it is available there but it should be I would think

Back
Top Bottom