Need advice on my new 36 gal and my old 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueRosenBloom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have had my 10 gal for about a year now. My fish group has grown since then.(due to baby fish) So as a surprise my husband got me a 36 gal for my birthday. We going to pick it up soon, but my husband said I could get more fish once it cycles.
So I have a whole month to see who going in the new tank and who staying in the 10 gal. I have same fish in mind, but I want to focus on what I have.

Fish in the tank at the moment are:

1 Clown pleco (he is about an inch long, he'll ether get to 3-4 inch)
3 Pepper Cory catfish (up to 6 cm)
3 fancy tail guppies (all male adults)
2 mollies with 3 babies (adults male is 3 inch and female is 2 inch. babies are still small, but big enough not to be easten.)

2 High fin platy and 3 babies (smaller then the mollies, but same stroy with the babies.)

I was thinking of putting the livebearers in the new tank when it ready. With getting more females.

The pepper catfish are not full grown yet, but want to get 3 more if the pet store I get them from ever stocks them. They could go in ether way.

Guppies may stay where they are, not sure yet.

The pleco is up in the air, cause he is more of a hider. My husband is looking on getting another pleco(Bristlenose pleco cause it more social) for the 36 gal tank, but with what I learn they poop a lot and don't really clean much.

I would like to have Loaches again, but they kept getting out of the tank. Easy enough fix with the new tank, but not the old one.

If anyone has any advice, would love to hear it. Even though I have had this tank for about a year. I still newish to the hobby. Thank you!

What precisely are you wanting advice with?

You can seed the cycle of your new tank with filter media from your current tank. This will speed up the time to cycle the new tank considerably.

Corys do better in larger groups. I would certainly recommend another 3 peppered corys and put them in the bigger tank.

The mollys and platys will continue to breed, the babies will breed and those babies will breed, producing more babies etc etc. You will find your larger tank will get over run with livebearers and you will need a plan to deal with this. In a larger community tank with a variety of fish, fry are more likely to get eaten and control their numbers. Is the breeding something you are interested in?

Of the fish you have, the guppies are most suited to stay in the 10g tank.

Last edited:
What precisely are you wanting advice with?

You can seed the cycle of your new tank with filter media from your current tank. This will speed up the time to cycle the new tank considerably.

Corys do better in larger groups. I would certainly recommend another 3 peppered corys and put them in the bigger tank.

The mollys and platys will continue to breed, the babies will breed and those babies will breed, producing more babies etc etc. You will find your larger tank will get over run with livebearers and you will need a plan to deal with this. In a larger community tank with a variety of fish, fry are more likely to get eaten and control their numbers. Is the breeding you are interested in?

Of the fish you have, the guppies are most suited to stay in the 10g tank.

Mostly what fish for which tank and if anyone knows would go with what I have. Love learning about new fish, but don't want to get anything that could cause harm to what I have now. Like semi may be ok, but mostly have peaceful fish up till now.

Will try that with the filter, anything to get the tank up and running.

With the cory I will do that, the pet store I got to get random cory. Like it took me 3 trips to get the 3 I have now.

Now for the livebearer, I knew before hand they will breed. Mollies give birth every month, while High fins have babies every 20 days. So far they have taken care of any fry that didn't learn to hide. The babies I have now are from different births. Like one high fin is from 7 months ago, another is from 5 months ago and last one 2 months ago. Same with the mollies. So they seem to be taking care of it. Why I was thinking of more females, so no inbreeding. I know they need in bigger groups also. I may have to think of a fish to take care of the fry.

Thank you!

Swapping water wont do anything to help with cycling your new tank. The microbes responsible for your cycle dont live in the water. They live on surfaces, like your substrate, any decorations in the tank, the glass. But mostly they live on the media in your filter.

If you can swap a small amount of filter media from your established filter into your new filter you will adding the microbes you need to cycle your tank. If you cant swap filter media then rinsing a sponge from your established filter into the water of your new tank.

All you will would be doing by swapping water from one tank to another is risking introducing you dont want.

Swapping water wont do anything to help with cycling your new tank. The microbes responsible for your cycle dont live in the water. They live on surfaces, like your substrate, any decorations in the tank, the glass. But mostly they live on the media in your filter.

If you can swap a small amount of filter media from your established filter into your new filter you will adding the microbes you need to cycle your tank. If you cant swap filter media then rinsing a sponge from your established filter into the water of your new tank.

All you will would be doing by swapping water from one tank to another is risking introducing you dont want.

Oh ok! thank you.

Back
Top Bottom