New and Old worlds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know why everyone is using this outdated term to describe groups if cichlids all of a sudden but its a ineffective way to do so. Old and New world encompasses large groups of cichlids that are not compatible and shouldn't be lumped together. Here is how they should be broken down IMO

-African Rift Valley cichlids:
Cichlids from either Lake Malawi or Lake Tanganyika.

-Victoria Basin:
Cichlids from Lake Victoria and surround lakes.

-West African River:
Cichlids and other fish from rivers and small stream in or around Cameroon.

-Madagascar:
This one should be self explanatory.

- South American Cichlids

-Central American Cichlids

Old worlds are africans and the madagascan cichlids. New worlds are central, southern, and north amercian cichlids

There are no members of the Cichlidae family that are endemic to North America ( US and Canada). There are allot of cichlids from Mexico however but those fall into the Central American category.

I don't know why everyone is using this outdated term to describe groups if cichlids all of a sudden but its a ineffective way to do so. Old and New world encompasses large groups of cichlids that are not compatible and shouldn't be lumped together. Here is how they should be broken down IMO

-African Rift Valley cichlids:
Cichlids from either Lake Malawi or Lake Tanganyika.

-Victoria Basin:
Cichlids from Lake Victoria and surround lakes.

-West African River:
Cichlids and other fish from rivers and small stream in or around Cameroon.

-Madagascar:
This one should be self explanatory.

- South American Cichlids

-Central American Cichlids

There are no members of the Cichlidae family that are endemic to North America ( US and Canada). There are allot of cichlids from Mexico however but those fall into the Central American category.

What about Neotropical then?:lol:

You're kill'en me smalls! We might as well bust out the Mesoamerican cichlids then and really confuse people!

I'm just busting your balls, it's just easier to say new or old then narrow it down from there, no disrespect to anyone here but this forums members are generally newer aquarists and drilling down into each area of Cichlidae.

I'm just busting your balls, it's just easier to say new or old then narrow it down from there, no disrespect to anyone here but this forums members are generally newer aquarists and drilling down into each area of Cichlidae.

It just seems like such a dated way to group up the cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom