New Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hatterz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I'm fairly new to cihlids and have a new 10 gallon tank with two young convict cichlids. I did a lot of research ahead of time and was feeling good about keeping them in a 10 gallon until later moving them into my 30g tank. I'm almost 100% sure they are male and female, they are barely larger than 1 inch. They have only been in the tank 1 day and the male owns the entire tank so far, the female will actually stay in the top corner of the tank and the male will chase her endlessly if she comes down. There are a couple caves and 1 plant in the tank. I've seen videos and read a lot of people have successfully kept a pair in a 10 gallon, so I figured while they were still young I shouldn't have much trouble until I moved them. Am I worried to much and should give it more time, or does my male have to big an ego. thanks!!!!

Welcome to Aquarium Advice.

I'm not sure where your research led you but keeping convicts in a 10g is a absolute disaster for the fish. They will reach sizes of 6" for males and 5" for females, not only would the chance for stunting be high but poor water quality and aggression would probably kill them first. So it's a good thing they are in a 30g now which is the bare minimum for a pair. So onto your aggression issues, sexing at a young age is difficult. So the tank must be prepared in a certain way for the fish to have individual territories with a break in the line of sight. The next thing that can help is to rearrange the tank decor again. If the other fish is being injured or being kept from eating you may hav to remove the aggressor. Give them a few days to set a pecking order and monitor them closely for damage. If they are male and female they are not fussy when choosing partners so you'll start seeing eggs when she reaches 1.5-2".

I am aware a 10 will be to small for them, the female isn't pale and shows no signs of damage. What is strange is I was worried last night about this then awoke to them swimming side by side, then when I got home from work it was back to the harassing.

Do you have any pictures so we can help sex them? The females will start showing color around a inch so it's possible. Give them some time to adjust to their new home.

I ended up taking the female back, I will probably take the male back to. I think I'm going to wait until I have a much larger tank and more patience to give cichlids another try. Thanks for the help! :)

Back
Top Bottom