NEW FISH Peacock bass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

didysis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just picked up a new fish. Amazing fish is all I can say. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_1552.jpg
    IMG_1552.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 4,767
  • IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 870
Another that would not load at first

Here is another shot

Attachments

• IMG_1541.jpg
    IMG_1541.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 345
kdpuffer said:
Nice bass, quite the mix of fish you got there.

I like variety So many options you know. Most random fish is a Giant Danios LOL Thats a random fish in an aggressive tank

How long have you had the bluegill in there? And does it bother any of your cichlids? Or vise versa

So I have a Green Sunfish in the tank and by far I think he looks the best(I think he looks like a cichild I bet most people would not know the difference thats why I put as profile pic for entertainment) (that fish that is my avatar or profile pic is him, look at my profile I have lots of pics) I also have the standard bluegill in there, to me he is really not that neat of a fish, boring color but since I changed the lighting to more of a saltwater setup his color shows more. I have had them both in the tank for over 2 years. Its amazing its been that long. I use to also have crawdads and large mouth bass and a brown trout in the tank. When I first setup the tank it was just a wild tank, Then I decided to turn up the heat a bit and put my Jack Dempsey that I have had for many years in with them and, You should have seen them swarming around him going what the heck is that fish!!! The Brown trout was really cool and allot of people said he would not last in the warmer water but he was doing good for about 3 weeks and then one night the crawdad made a meal of him, (im still pissed) and that was over a year ago, a small brown trout is super hard to catch super super hard. So I will never keep a crawdad again ever. I really liked the Channel cats that I had they were cool fish. I also had a friend keeping some wild fish but at a lower temp and then one night a family friend came to the house turned up the heat because it was cold- Put it at max and then figured would turn it off before left, Ya killed them all because never turned it down after left. He also had a small mouth bass (I have never kept one but he said it was much more aggressive than the large mouth bass) It had killed a couple large mouth bass before, I felt bad for him because he loved the wild fish allot and I decided to give him all my bass and other fish, I just kept these two. I had a large mouth bass of about 10inches now I wish I had another one again to mix in with the peacock but I don’t know if they would do well together who knows and I would try it LOL. Just hard to know I spent allot on the peacock and have something happen to him. The bluegill does not bother anybody at all, he is like the giant danios he could care less and probably has no idea the other fish are aggressive. The sun fish is more aggressive but I have only seen him one time fight with another fish, and it was the large kenyi I have. So over all I would say they don’t bother anyone, I saw him(sunfish) eyeing the peacock bass a little last night but I am not sure if he is just interested or wants to start something, I will be watching them very close and keep you updated. I have kept them at 80 degrees for a good while with no problems. Here are some pics of the tank along time ago. Just after I added Jack into the tank.

That’s a long answer. Happy to answer any questions any time.

I have been thinking I want to setup another tank, I might do a trout,(if I can catch another one as I said they are super hard to catch (I don’t use a hook) bass, sunfish tank but also the wife was thinking she wanted a salt water tank and I have not done one of those for a while so it would be fun to do that again. But I like the idea of getting another bass to add to the large tank once it has grown a bit. Just feed the thing like crazy and they grow fast.

How long have you had the bluegill in there? And does it bother any of your cichlids? Or vise versa

Attachments

• Wild tank 1.jpg
    Wild tank 1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 284
  • wild tank 2.jpg
    wild tank 2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 267
  • wild tank 3.jpg
    wild tank 3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 200
  • wild tank 4.jpg
    wild tank 4.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 252
here is one of the cats, why are allot of fun. At cabelas here they have a bunch that are like 2 feet, they are ugly but to me so sweet I like them allot, I should just get a redtail catfish

Forgot I use to have Crappie in the tank also, LOL

Attachments

• wild tank 5.jpg
    wild tank 5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 163
the fish are beautiful! and so is your tank cabinet. that's so unusual. the color is so cool. and all the crown moulding trim. did you make this yourself? very nice! never seen a cabinet like that. really sets off all your fish.

jpchin said:
the fish are beautiful! and so is your tank cabinet. that's so unusual. the color is so cool. and all the crown moulding trim. did you make this yourself? very nice! never seen a cabinet like that. really sets off all your fish.

thanks. Wish I could tank credit for building it. I do allot of wood work and that's one thing that made me like this tank allot. I still have not seen another cabinet either like this. Even round trim on the round corners of the tank. It's a neat setup.

Update - peacock bass is doing good. I still think he is looking for live food. Have got him to eat a bit of frozen food. I'll be working on getting him adjusted to pellets over time. So far I don't think it will be to much of an issue. He looks great in the tank and fits in well with the other fish. No fights have broken out at all.

have you ever tried feeding live BLACK worms? i feed them to all my fish (even the shrimp love them). they really bring out the color and vigor of the fish. i feed flake and pellets but every other day i feed the worms. believe me they go crazy when i do! my local fish store happens to be "that fish place/that pet place" in lancaster, pa. they have just about everything there. if your local fish store doesn't have them i think you can order them from that fish place. they have a web site and mail order. if they don't have them you can google california black worms. they mail them. not sure how many you have to buy though. my cichlid's love them.
and again that tank and cabinet is very cool. :) who makes it? i'd love to see more.

J19Reynolds said:
What type of fish is this one in our tank? It's BEAUTIFUL!

Sp44 is what they mostly are known as. If you were local I would give you a great deal on a bunch. They mostly show color as an alpha male and sub dominant male. Just Google that and it will give you the exact name

didysis said:
Sp44 is what they mostly are known as. If you were local I would give you a great deal on a bunch. They mostly show color as an alpha male and sub dominant male. Just Google that and it will give you the exact name

I'm not local :-( I will def google it bc that is amazing color

Haplochromis Red tail (sp44)

Haplochromis sp.44 "Red Tail"

Ya this is the son, he has now taken over as the alpha. He is really good looking, the father also can show the same color just does not always

Things to know about them, best if kept in a group of a couple females to one male, problem is they breed like rabbits, maybe worse, I started with 2 in my tank and pulled the mother out when she first started holding, I did that twice, now I just leave them in the tank because I have 5 mothers holding right now. They do need space as when they mate they pic a place and then defend it from any male and other cichlids same size, anything much larger they leave alone. With my large tank he likes to rule half of it when he is courting the ladies which is about 50% of the time min. Fun to watch, I should shoot a video of him.

Attachments

• Sp44.jpg
    Sp44.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 116
Back
Top Bottom