New Guys to African male tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peacockkeeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I added three new fish and brought my OB over from quarantine. Removed my 6 females from main tank 75g tank and put them in my 29g. Then brought my bullied OB back but even without females he is getting picked on might have to rehome him this weekend. Dominant male and #2 just won't leave him be. He was one of my 3 original fish but don't want to see him killed. Pictures of new additions and the bullied ob and his tormentors ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392943819.087469.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392943829.084923.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392943841.439772.jpg

this is the ob

I had to switch up Peacocks until i found a good mix. Is it the Red Shoulder in the picture that is picking on the OB? They are one of the more agressive Peacocks. Bi Color 500 Peacock and Ngara Flametail may be a good substitute or try a smaller Red Shoulder. I always switch up the dominant fish. When adding new fish to the tank, do it at night when the tank is dark. This helps new fish settle in.
Good luck.

Yeah it is mostly the red shoulder he is actually the #2 but the blue ahli is in on it too he is the boss of tank. The OB didn't make it an hour before I had to put him back in with the females. He was cowering sideways in the corner of the tank. Going to have to get rid of him don't want to breed him it's tough though he is one of my originals. Thanks for the advice. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392946724.973439.jpg

I use rocks like Texas holy rock or quartz because they are white and make the peacocks stand out but also because it gives my subdominant males somewhere to hide in

Yeah I really like the Texas holy rock but it's expensive. I have wanted to add more rocks for a while but I'm in Buffalo and everything is covered in snow. I got the ones in my tank now from out front of my apartment and we are getting a rainstorm tonight so everything will be melted by morning. I'm already planning on scavenging tomorrow after work I know I saw quite a few out there before they were buried.

Nice ob! Hope he gets to stay! What's that first new fish? What lights are u using? Makes colors pop nice!

Thanks I hope he gets to stay too. The first fish was labeled as a yellow mara cichlid at my lfs. As far as the light it's an led I bought on eBay for $53.00 a couple of weeks ago I'm pretty happy with it for the price. I was hopping it would make the colors pop more and i think it has done a pretty good job. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392956228.340964.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392956238.189242.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392956263.856485.jpg

Very nice I think that Mara is a mbuna. Cynotilapia species. U can always combo lights to get color u want. I'd recommend the aquatic life .5 watt expandable led fixture. A marine fusion which is 50/50 white and blue LEDs would be a great additional make blue and yellow pop. I have a few and I used 1 w my old marineland led which was similar to yours and liked the look lots! Go to aquatic life's site and look at them. They're waaaay cheaper there than online stores. Here's a pic of my pride n joy 90 mbuna tank. Getting new lights delivered this weekend to try and get the combo I want. This one pic shows an aquAtop 50/50 white and actinic light on it. Gonna sell that tomorrow and try a current led+ and a finnex monster ray color enhanced led with it and the aquatic life strips to see what I like best! You can see how the yellows pop with the blue light mixed in. I think the sec pic is old tank w the marineland and that aquatic life strip mixed in i mentioned in for reference. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392958690.429718.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392958806.905180.jpg

Yeah it is mostly the red shoulder he is actually the #2 but the blue ahli is in on it too he is the boss of tank. The OB didn't make it an hour before I had to put him back in with the females. He was cowering sideways in the corner of the tank. Going to have to get rid of him don't want to breed him it's tough though he is one of my originals. Thanks for the advice. View attachment 223858

Is this the picture of him in with the females. If so I am pretty sure the peacock at the back bottom with the white trim on his dorsal fin is a male. Jacobfreibergi Eureka Red?
Nice OB male you have. I agree the yellowish Mbuna in the first picture is a Cynotalpia of some type. Lions Cove maybe.
I have not had any luck mixing Ahli's in with my Hap/Peacocks. I have had both blue and OB and they terrorized the fish in my 180. Too bad because the are awesome.

They are Jacobi's got them when they were small and am having a hard time sexing them and a few other juvies. I figured I would consider them female and wait to see color. I have read a lot about how to tell but still don't know because I thought the males would have pointy anal & dorsal fins and I don't think any of mine do. Some of the Jacobi's do have some color on the anal fin but no egg spots. I haven't tried venting them because they were almost impossible to catch in my 75g but now they are in the 29g I might have to try even though I don't really know what I'm look for.

They are Jacobi's got them when they were small and am having a hard time sexing them and a few other juvies. I figured I would consider them female and wait to see color. I have read a lot about how to tell but still don't know because I thought the males would have pointy anal & dorsal fins and I don't think any of mine do. Some of the Jacobi's do have some color on the anal fin but no egg spots. I haven't tried venting them because they were almost impossible to catch in my 75g but now they are in the 29g I might have to try even though I don't really know what I'm look for.

It is a male. The pointed anal fin comes later with age. Not all Peacocks get egg spots. Once they color up you can put them into the 75. If you do it too soon they will fade back to looking like a female as they are sub dominant. This will lead to any other male in the tank to take over dominance and start to color up. Bear in mind that as they grow your 75 will be too small. My 75 grew into a larger tank and I wanted more species than a 75 could hold.

Cheers

It is a male. The pointed anal fin comes later with age. Not all Peacocks get egg spots. Once they color up you can put them into the 75. If you do it too soon they will fade back to looking like a female as they are sub dominant. This will lead to any other male in the tank to take over dominance and start to color up. Bear in mind that as they grow your 75 will be too small. My 75 grew into a larger tank and I wanted more species than a 75 could hold.

Cheers

Thanks I was wondering if the pointed fins came with age or if you could see it early. And trust me I know my 75g won't be big enough I started with a 10g 6 months ago and have already upgraded twice can't wait until I can afford a 125g setup might take me a little while already dropped a good chunk of change getting to were I am now but I'm sure I will get it.

Thanks I was wondering if the pointed fins came with age or if you could see it early. And trust me I know my 75g won't be big enough I started with a 10g 6 months ago and have already upgraded twice can't wait until I can afford a 125g setup might take me a little while already dropped a good chunk of change getting to were I am now but I'm sure I will get it.

Go straight to a 180 gallon or larger. Many people I know regretted going the 125 gallon route first.

Very nice I think that Mara is a mbuna. Cynotilapia species. U can always combo lights to get color u want. I'd recommend the aquatic life .5 watt expandable led fixture. A marine fusion which is 50/50 white and blue LEDs would be a great additional make blue and yellow pop. I have a few and I used 1 w my old marineland led which was similar to yours and liked the look lots! Go to aquatic life's site and look at them. They're waaaay cheaper there than online stores. Here's a pic of my pride n joy 90 mbuna tank. Getting new lights delivered this weekend to try and get the combo I want. This one pic shows an aquAtop 50/50 white and actinic light on it. Gonna sell that tomorrow and try a current led+ and a finnex monster ray color enhanced led with it and the aquatic life strips to see what I like best! You can see how the yellows pop with the blue light mixed in. I think the sec pic is old tank w the marineland and that aquatic life strip mixed in i mentioned in for reference. View attachment 223921View attachment 223922
Hey, have you considered a BML(Build My Led) light. They will custom make a light to suit your fish colours. There are thousands of colour combinations available and if your not sure, Nick(co-owner) will advice you on which one to get for your fish. One with a 90 degree beam angle would do the job.....

Back
Top Bottom