New setup has weird white fuzzy stuff on rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U_Hoo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I have a new African setup that's so new, I don't even have any cichlids yet! It was finished cycling almost 2 weeks ago but we didn't add fish until a few days ago. Started with 2 clown loaches and 1 RTS. All of them are 1-1/2". Anyhoo, This morning was the first day to feed them and I noticed a weird fuzzy growth on one of the rocks toward the back. I should probably add we didn't add the rocks till AFTER the cycling was done (due to various circumstances). We rinsed and scrubbed the rocks but didn't boil or bake them. Might be hard to see in the pictures, but the growth is just to the left of the flash in the one pic.

My water tests 0/0/40 ('trates are high from tap) PH 8.1 running at 80 deg. It's 55 gal with pfs substrate, local rock, a couple pieces of driftwood which WERE boiled and in the tank for the whole cycling process, an AC70 and Aquatop CF400uv, and 250w heater. Running an LED light that puts out 900 lumens.

This can't be the 'food-fuzzies' simply because there hasn't been any food in the tank until this morning. Any suggestions as to what it is and what to do? I was just going to try to siphon and scrape it out and keep an eye on the water parameters.

Attachments

• 2013-02-06_10-13-29_335.jpg
    2013-02-06_10-13-29_335.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 2013-02-06_10-14-07_958.jpg
    2013-02-06_10-14-07_958.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 148
Some of my rocks got the same thing it eventually went away on its own and didn't harm a thing

Oh good. Thanks for the reply! We've tried to do everything as close to perfect as possible and we were really freaking out this morning :(

We are waiting another week or two before adding cichlids (yellow labs and acei's) so hopefully it'll be gone by then!

Oh good. Thanks for the reply! We've tried to do everything as close to perfect as possible and we were really freaking out this morning :(

We are waiting another week or two before adding cichlids (yellow labs and acei's) so hopefully it'll be gone by then!

Sometimes it takes a month or two. You can clean it up but more than likely it will just keep coming back. Have you cycled the tank or currently doing so. Do you know what I mean? I'd like to see a full tank picture it looks nice: )

The tank has been cycled for about 2 weeks. Here's a pic of the entire setup:

Attachments

• 2013-02-06_13-19-50_584.jpg
    2013-02-06_13-19-50_584.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 122
Back
Top Bottom