New tank set up....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyNovice

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I fInally got it all put together.....
Let the cycling begin, my fish will be ready to gone home at the end of the month so hopefully plenty of time to work out any issues.
Getting some variety of peacocks.
What does everyone think? It's a 45 gallon corner hex tank so I hope the pic angles are ok...
So excited to finally put it all together!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391570977.534368.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391570994.879244.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391571007.718335.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391571019.712595.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391571033.500750.jpg

Depends how you stock it. If you buy small males or if you buy unsexed fry. 5 or 7 peacocks males would max that out I tried with the same tank type I tried to go up to 12 but it didn't work out soon as they got some size I had problems so I brought my stock to only 6 and I am thinking of going to 5. I picked a yellow lab and a jewel cichlid they like the bottom more than the peacocks. Oh and the tank is too small to have females in bought mine as fry ended up with 2 females right when the males started showing color fight club broke out it's recommended to stock 2 females per male so I instead opted to go the all male rout

Yup I am going all male as well. I was thinking 8 fish.... Couple of each type breeder has available. Still deciding tho on what to do. I have until the end of the month to make up my mind. I still love the oscars and would be happy with just those! But the peacocks from the local breeder are gorgeous... So many decisions!

I have had both now I still only have had my peacock tank for a year only but they know me by now they come to greet me everytime I get near the tank and they follow me. The oscars I had longer they where like my little dogs they knew me as well even did tricks like eat off my hand beat the tank wall when they wanted attention vary good fish. The bad part is they are way more work I had 180g with a couple tank mates and needed 50% weekly wc that's 90g per week it's a pain to do. And it more expensive to start everyone starts with oscars because they look cute at petsmart I had the employee at he time tell me I could start in a 10g and I listened and learned the hard way.

After this long winded response you will enjoy your peacocks they have beautiful colors they have their own personality they won't let you down

If down the road you still want an oscar tank do it that right way and get 120g+ tank or a 75 for just 1

Yup I am going all male as well. I was thinking 8 fish.... Couple of each type breeder has available. Still deciding tho on what to do. I have until the end of the month to make up my mind. I still love the oscars and would be happy with just those! But the peacocks from the local breeder are gorgeous... So many decisions!

Keep us posted if you can make that work and remember the fun doesn't start until they start showing color

Gonna get my levels tested Wednesday. I don't have a home kit yet, but live 5 minutes from shop that tests for free so we shall see! Getting anxious to get those fish!

Your going to eventually get your own liquid test because sometimes things happen fast or on a Sunday or holiday

Ok so I bought my API test kit today! Tank has been cycling for a week, still not sure when my fish will be ready to bring home from breeder ...

So what kind of testing schedule do you guys recommend? First for now since it's a new tank and then once established.

And what do you guys think about water changes in fishless cycle? Reviews vary...

Thanks! ?

I don't wc during a cycle unless you did for a month or something.
I would add some bacteria in a bottle or I would add your first batch of fish.

All this of course after you do a water test with your kit just to kind of give you an idea where you are. If it's been a week you should be fine unless something is terribly wrong than don't add fish but like I said I think by now you are ready for your first batch or bacteria in a bottle

I don't wc during a cycle unless you did for a month or something.
I would add some bacteria in a bottle or I would add your first batch of fish.

All this of course after you do a water test with your kit just to kind of give you an idea where you are. If it's been a week you should be fine unless something is terribly wrong than don't add fish but like I said I think by now you are ready for your first batch or bacteria in a bottle

I heard bacteria in a bottle didn't have good reviews either....

I was going to put filter cartridge from my other tank in it...

I heard bacteria in a bottle didn't have good reviews either....

I was going to put filter cartridge from my other tank in it...

Both of those have worked for me personally this the stuff I use but like I said he cartridge from another tank as always worked as well ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392229291.237454.jpg

Cool thanks for the input. I am running test kit on my establish tank right now to see how that stands, so far so good! Hopefully I can keep my cichlids as healthy. I have put so much time and effort (and money!) into this tank (as we all have!) I am so scared to add fish and lose them!!! I'd be so depressed!!! Lol

Cool thanks for the input. I am running test kit on my establish tank right now to see how that stands, so far so good! Hopefully I can keep my cichlids as healthy. I have put so much time and effort (and money!) into this tank (as we all have!) I am so scared to add fish and lose them!!! I'd be so depressed!!! Lol

Don't add your entire future stock all at once that's how to shock a closed system like a fish tank.

Since your adding small ones you can add 5 to 10 at a time give your bio load time to catch up before you add the next batch I trike to wait at least three to five days before I add another batch.

I also found when I added a filter from an established tank the process was allot instant like what your think about with the cartridge. Still just don't add them all at once

Don't add your entire future stock all at once that's how to shock a closed system like a fish tank.

Since your adding small ones you can add 5 to 10 at a time give your bio load time to catch up before you add the next batch I trike to wait at least three to five days before I add another batch.

I also found when I added a filter from an established tank the process was allot instant like what your think about with the cartridge. Still just don't add them all at once

I think I am only getting 8-10 for full stock anyways. So should hopefully be ok, fingers crossed. My LFS thinks I'm going to have trouble but I don't have as much faith in her as I did cause when I took my water in she didn't even know the difference between nitrate & nitrite... ?

I think I am only getting 8-10 for full stock anyways. So should hopefully be ok, fingers crossed. My LFS thinks I'm going to have trouble but I don't have as much faith in her as I did cause when I took my water in she didn't even know the difference between nitrate & nitrite... ?

Than you can always add some goldfish to help cycle the tank cost a dollar and when your done take them back to the LFS or give them away

Back
Top Bottom