Nitrite Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kvnr14

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I am new to caring for African Cichlids and need some advice on some high nitrite levels.

I have a 30 gallon tank established since January 1st 2013. I currently have 9 african cichlids (labeled "assorted African Cichlids" at my LFS), A clown loach and a albino pleco.

My water parameters

Ph : 8.2
Ammonia : 0.25 ppm
Nitrite : 2.0 ppm
Nitrate : 20 ppm

My ammonia and nitrite are high and i have been doing a 30 - 50 % water change every other day.

I have a Cascade 150 filter system. Just put a new carbon pad in.

I was wondering if I should get another filter for this tank, and if I'm still in the cycle and that's why my nitrites are high or if i have to many fish.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 65
You need to be.doing water changes and testing constantly. If you get ammonia or nitrite above .25 then do a water change around 25-30% then test again in an hour or so

There are some great articles about cycling in our article section

Your tank is not cycled so there is no biological filter to handle the ammonia and nitrites. Plus 30 gallon with 9 cichlids is probably a little overstocked. They are one fish that you can overstock to a point as it can help with aggression issues. Most of the articles you read suggest a minimum of a 55 gallon tank. I realize that doesn't help you now, but you should know that you may need to go to a bigger tank in the future. All that you can do now is continue with your water changes. I would probably change 25% every couple of days or when your ammonia levels get up to .2, with that many fish it might be everyday. Don't be surprised if you lose some fish during the cycling process, I hope you didn't pay much for them.

You need to be.doing water changes and testing constantly. If you get ammonia or nitrite above .25 then do a water change around 25-30% then test again in an hour or so

There are some great articles about cycling in our article section

If the OP is using prime to condition the water then testing with in 24 hours can give false readings. I've noticed since it binds ammo and nitrates to a less harmful state it messes with my results in the first 24-48 hours.

Back
Top Bottom