Odd behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would highly appreciate some help here, as my two oldest cichlids have begun acting really strange. Both are electric yellows, and by venting (which I believe I did right) one seems to be male and the other female. Lately, the fish have been acting different than the usual chasing. The brighter male is nibbling on the side of the female and after a while she'll turn and they'll bite each other's mouths and then the role will change and she'll nibble at his side and eventually they flip around again, like a game of chicken or something. I tend to think this is aggression and I might need to find a new home for one or the other as they are currently in a 30g and I'm not sure if that is enough space. They're both about a year old and 3.5-4" big now. Parameters are in check if that matters.

Oh, the reason I ask for clarification is a friend of mine who used to breed yellow labs told me that when they're spawning/breeding they put on a show for you, so I'm curious if that is what I'm witnessing.

I do know that when cichlids mate they do the mouth to mouth fighting as a test of strength, it sounds like that's what's going on.

However I noticed the exact same behavior with the biting at the side when I added a new cichlid to my established tank and that was definitely aggression.

I'd say it sounds like they- are pairing off but keep an eye on them just in case. Good luck! :)

The only concern I have about pairing off but I know yellow labs aren't monogamous

Back
Top Bottom