Oscar and jack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys for my new setup(back in the hobby) i got myself 2 fresh babies, an oscar and a jack dempsey in a 55gal which i will be upgrading much later, strong filtration, no substrate but i will probably be putting gravel although i like sand any advice on that? Anyways will be setting up pictures some time tomorow!

Following this, as I have a similar tank size (in my profile) about to be set up soon when I get time. Wouldn't mind an Oscar in it alone.

Hey guys for my new setup(back in the hobby) i got myself 2 fresh babies, an oscar and a jack dempsey in a 55gal which i will be upgrading much later, strong filtration, no substrate but i will probably be putting gravel although i like sand any advice on that? Anyways will be setting up pictures some time tomorow!

Sounds like an interesting build!
As for the sand/gravel issue its up to you really. I'd personally go with sand because of the fact that the waste stays on the top and doesn't sink down so it's easier to clean and keep parameters in check. Especially with big, messy fish like those you have. Good luck with this!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My 90 came with a grown oscar and JD. I felt the 90 was way too small for the oscar, but the right size for the jack. I would look for a 125.

Wow these are big tanks...
Wish I had the room, money and energy for a huge tank.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I keep my oscar in a 125 gallon. Adult oscars need that much room. A 55 gallon is not big enough for an oscar alone..
sorry.. I know info on the web says minimum of 55 is required for an Oscar, but it's just too small. Oscars require work and attention. From reading your post I would return the Oscar. You do not sound ready for the work and requirements of keeping large, messy and territorial cichlids. By the way you will be doing larger and more frequent water changes in a small tank like a 55 gallon than a larger tank. With those 2 fish in there as juvi's, 50% water change every couple days at least will be needed.

I keep my oscar in a 125 gallon. Adult oscars need that much room. A 55 gallon is not big enough for an oscar alone..
sorry.. I know info on the web says minimum of 55 is required for an Oscar, but it's just too small. Oscars require work and attention. From reading your post I would return the Oscar. You do not sound ready for the work and requirements of keeping large, messy and territorial cichlids. By the way you will be doing larger and more frequent water changes in a small tank like a 55 gallon than a larger tank. With those 2 fish in there as juvi's, 50% water change every couple days at least will be needed.

haha no worries ive already kept oscars in the past. Im just waiting on about 2 tanks to get to my house from my parents house. a 125gal and a 200.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds like an interesting build!
As for the sand/gravel issue its up to you really. I'd personally go with sand because of the fact that the waste stays on the top and doesn't sink down so it's easier to clean and keep parameters in check. Especially with big, messy fish like those you have. Good luck with this!

Thanks! Ill be def checking out the sand.

Unfortunately, im seing some dominance issues as well as some nipped fins on the oscar from the jd. I think ill have to seperate them till the oscar grows out a bit! Unfortunate :'(

Unfortunately, im seing some dominance issues as well as some nipped fins on the oscar from the jd. I think ill have to seperate them till the oscar grows out a bit! Unfortunate :'(

That's all part of mixing cichlids. You'll see nipped fins and stuff. If you're one who's fish need to have perfect fins, then that's not the stock for you. There will ALWAYS be "dominance issues" - that's just the way these fish are. If you don't want to see that, again, mixing cichlids is probably not for you.

Oscars grow very rapidly, and it will soon be larger than the JD.

That's all part of mixing cichlids. You'll see nipped fins and stuff. If you're one who's fish need to have perfect fins, then that's not the stock for you. There will ALWAYS be "dominance issues" - that's just the way these fish are. If you don't want to see that, again, mixing cichlids is probably not for you.

Oscars grow very rapidly, and it will soon be larger than the JD.

Im just a bit worried for the oscar, hes lost a ton of color and seemed extremly stressed.

JD's are a mixed bag. Mine is over 5" but largely a pussycat.

My dad has a jack Dempsey that ate his catfish, bit 2 other fish and killed 1fish. Not saying all are like that but be careful

[emoji12]Kgirl[emoji12]

Update: I just put the jack dempsey back in the tank because my spare tank was unavailable for use right now. Im hoping this is gonna work out. I just added substrated and extra filtration. Ill keep updating.

Update: Tank seems to be lookikg good both actively eating now jack dempsey still a bit shy but will come upfront willingly if he really wants the food. They dont fight anymore which is good.

Back
Top Bottom