Oscar on the mend - Day 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jfussell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Oscar is a foot long was stricken with fin rot and hole-in-the-head. The parasite had burrowed a hole in his bottom just past his gill plate. He had the white pallor of death. This condition hit fast & hard, my wife and I acted the same way fast & way!

I immediately started a regiment of antibiotics like amoxicillin, Meloxfix, API All-Cure, Pure grade Epson Salt, water and filter changes. Cleaning the external canister completely every 2 weeks. We alternated medicines every 48 hours with water changes every 72 hours.

His color came back, his recovered, but the hole in his bottom stayed for two more weeks before finally closing 31/2 weeks in. He had also developed bloat with predictable swim bladder issues leading to a case of Flop. The Epson Salt finally worked but the Flop remained.

Now he is attempting swim but my concern for Fade from lack of appetite and the weakness that comes with it needed treatment. After consulting the Tennessee & Georgia Aquarium experts it was thought force feeding would warrant a try, after all what was there lose?

Luckily, I had a container of saline water syringes still in air pack I had used for a human use. We cleaned a couple out eject in the ceiling water for aquarium water in his favorite food brine shrimp Which formed a mush when put with the tank water.

At first he scurried away from the syringe when it was presented to him so he got weaker and weaker. Finally we caught him we couldn’t run anymore and my wife started trying to get the syringe into his mouth for a feeding.

Slowly he began to take more and more of the food.

At present, he is feeding every day once a day and he excepts the syringe and actually seems to look forward when my wife puts it in the water. I have included a video to show you one such feeding.

We hope he continues to recover to full health. I pray for him every day. What! Pray for a fish? We consider him a member of our family so of course we do. I ask that you would too.

How did the oscar even get that bad befor
Someone thought : oh that Oscar doesn't looks
So good he needs
Som medical
Attention!

How did the oscar even get that bad befor

Someone thought : oh that Oscar doesn't looks

So good he needs

Som medical

Attention!

Thank you for your concern. I travel at times and was gone 3 weeks, we had a relative feed and look after the tank during our absence...he had aquariums but only a basic knowledge of Oscars. When I returned I observed the fin rot on his lateral fins and bloat but it was not a moderate case nevertheless we immediately began treatment. The hole-in-head disease name is misleading as the parasite can burrow in any part of the fishes body. Unfortunately, I didn’t see the hole on his underside just behind his gill bone plate until he developed flop. Alternation of meds has cured him, the hole has healed over and I’m happy to report he’s nearly 100% we are feeding twice a day and he is swimming more and more. And his appetite is back to being voracious! Our task now is to keep the water as clean as possible through changing the filter media every two weeks with 50% water changes. We have a pure source from a well which accesses an underground mountain stream. Water tests confirm it to be a pure source with balanced Ph.
The parasites we believe came from our relative who fed the Oscar live bait minnows that had not been treated. I feed him finely chopped beef heart and treated river shrimp which he enjoys. Education for the relative is in order. I am blessed we didn’t lose him.

Oh that makes more sense thankyou for the clarification I’m sorry for being rude also I guess the reason why he wasn’t getting attention well it’s good your back

Back
Top Bottom