Help please. White slime on oscar.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hainzlst

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a large Tiger Oscar in my 125 gal tank, So i came home from work to him having a lot of white stuff all on his head & down the right half of his fin. I dont think It's ick because it isn't in dots. I'm not sure as to what this is. I have no idea if this is slime disease or not. Please help, Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3857.jpg
    IMG_3857.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3858.jpg
    IMG_3858.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3859.jpg
    IMG_3859.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 12
This looks like a reaction to something in the water irritating the skin and causing the fish to produce more body slime than normal. I recommend doing a full scale panel of water chemistry and prepare to do a large scale water change. How much of a change is determined by the test results of your aquarium water and the water you use to replace the removed water.

Hope this helps (y)

I just added a new plant in the tank on Friday. But none of my other fish are having problems. Do you think that could be the problem?

I just added a new plant in the tank on Friday. But none of my other fish are having problems. Do you think that could be the problem?

It could be, what was the plant?
You should also check the water as usually it's a water parameter that's off that causes this. Oscars are very dirty fish so unless you are over filtering and doing large volume weekly water changes, it very well could be nitrates causing this.

Back
Top Bottom