Overstocked???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marisullivan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55gal right now set up with 2 baby white tip sharks (those will be moved to my 75gal when they get a little bigger), 5 kissing gouramis, 6 blue gouramis, 1 angel fish and now tonight I rehomed 2 jack dempsey, and a total of 8 pink and zebra striped convicts. I am setting up my 75 gal tomorrow to filter until Thursday of next week since I am out of town Mon - Wed (late Wed) - so Thursday going to move some fish around - was just wondering if my 55gal is over stocked these 5 days till I get back - or if they should be okay?

Any suggestions?

My game plan was to filter the 75 gal while I was gone, aquascape it with plants I just ordered, and then put all my convicts, jack dempsey's in their along with the 2 sharks. I have a 40gal right now that homes 2 firemouth convicts and 5 striped convicts along with 5 cichlids. So, all the convicts and jack dempseys would be moved to the 75.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

That is certainly overstocked, but if they're only going to be in there for 5 days then I think they'll be fine. I've seen far worse before. Not sure how your angel is going to fair though . You have quite a bit of convicts which are usually pretty mellow unless breeding same goes for the firmouths. I think you'll be fine for now but id certainly figure something out for when you get back and have the 75 up and running. Post some pics though :)

I agree.

As far as filtering the 75 while you are gone, I'd skip it and save the electricity. Running the filter on an empty tank does nothing to prepare it for fish. Just move over some cruddy media from the 55 when you get back.

The white tip sharks will definatelly get big. If it's the same as a silver-tipped shark and a black-fin shark then it will get to 12-24 inches. From putting them two in a different tank, you might be good with the stock in the other tank.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up putting up the 75gal, naturaaly planted it n added my fish. Today, I got a new light for the tank along with plant stuff. Super excited. I love the tank & it looks really good.

I'm guessing you didn't cycle the 75, did you? Did you at least move over the filter media and some of the substrate?

I cycled it for a couple of days - I just wrote that reply in a few sentences but trying to span a few days of work. Sorry - but I have been running 90 - to nothing. I cycled it for a couple days, moved some of the substrate and the water from the tanks I had the fish in - since I had to clean their tanks anyways. I planted the tank, let that run for a day and then added the fish. Bought the new light for it today - since it is a planted tank.

Maybe you did not read my initial post - but here it is a nutshell: overstocked 55 gal or try to speed up the cycling process and move them as quickly as I could - when I got back from work travel. The lesser of the two evils - to me - was the road I took...today.....my fish are fine, all levels are where they need to be besides I have just been adjusting the temp by a couple degrees - but all in all - I have lost no fish thus far.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up putting up the 75gal, naturaaly planted it n added my fish. Today, I got a new light for the tank along with plant stuff. Super excited. I love the tank & it looks really good.

I cycled it for a couple of days - I just wrote that reply in a few sentences but trying to span a few days of work. Sorry - but I have been running 90 - to nothing. I cycled it for a couple days, moved some of the substrate and the water from the tanks I had the fish in - since I had to clean their tanks anyways. I planted the tank, let that run for a day and then added the fish. Bought the new light for it today - since it is a planted tank.

Maybe you did not read my initial post - but here it is a nutshell: overstocked 55 gal or try to speed up the cycling process and move them as quickly as I could - when I got back from work travel. The lesser of the two evils - to me - was the road I took...today.....my fish are fine, all levels are where they need to be besides I have just been adjusting the temp by a couple degrees - but all in all - I have lost no fish thus far.

I read your initial and subsequent posts. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom