Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackson123

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is a 110 gallon with an oscar, black belt, jd, green terror, jewel, 2 convicts, a Senegal bichir and a pleco overstocked? The tank has 1270 gph and filters a total of 315 gallons.

Is a 110 gallon with an oscar, black belt, jd, green terror, jewel, 2 convicts, a Senegal bichir and a pleco overstocked? The tank has 1270 gph and filters a total of 315 gallons.

I dont know but if anything I would not add anything. if not over you are close.

I think you will have big problems with this list in the future, although as juveniles they will probably be fine. Once they start to mature, though, you'll see a lot more aggression. Even if you are able to keep up on water quality, a 5 foot tank simply does not provide adequate space for all these fish to claim territories.

If the pleco is a common pleco, it will eventually get huge. Even if you can house it (which is iffy IMO), you will be fighting an uphill battle for water quality with that one.

Last edited:
What if I got rid of the jewel and the 2 convicts?

You'd still be overstocked but it's possible you could get the right mix since you don't have any of the real aggressive cichlid species (amphilophus, parachromis, etc). Since you're already overstocked, u might as well just leave it for now and just pull out the aggressive or weak fish when necessary.

What could I get rid of to make it not overstocked?

What could I get rid of to make it not overstocked?

It's a toss up... if you don't have any aggression right now, removing 1 fish could throw everything off and you'll be left worse off than u already are. Take into account that 1 full grown Oscar needs 75 gallons to himself minimum and you're not left with room for much else. Convicts don't get nearly as big so u could try them with 1 of your other cichlids but even then you never know how it's going to work, especially if u got a male/female. Some people are able to get their tanks to work overstocked like yours, I've never been able to...

I'd get rid of convicts and green terror for sure

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I will get rid of the jewel the green terror and maybe the convicts because they are my least favorite.

Back
Top Bottom