Peacock I.D.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phillips

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wanted a second opinion on the fish i just bought today. Looks to me to be a ruby or rubin red peacock.

Attachments

• image-1315064100.jpg
    image-1315064100.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 86
Thanks. I assume there is no difference in ruby and ruebin red. What about a German red peacock?

It's confusing! All from the Aulonocara genus. Honestly it's very hard to tell the difference from that pic at that age (If at all). Just let him color up and then you can make the call. They are very very close. Here is some data from cichlid profiles. Basically it comes down to which island they originated from

The Geman Red Peacock is not a hybrid but has been line bred from the Chipoka race of Aulonocara sp. ''Stuartgranti Maleri".

The Ruby Red Peacock is not a hybrid but has been line bred from the Maleri Island race of Aulonocara sp. ''Stuartgranti Maleri". It was named Rubescens after Peter Rubin, who first imported this fish from Germany.

It's confusing! All from the Aulonocara genus. Honestly it's very hard to tell the difference from that pic at that age (If at all). Just let him color up and then you can make the call. They are very very close. Here is some data from cichlid profiles. Basically it comes down to which island they originated from

The Geman Red Peacock is not a hybrid but has been line bred from the Chipoka race of Aulonocara sp. ''Stuartgranti Maleri".

The Ruby Red Peacock is not a hybrid but has been line bred from the Maleri Island race of Aulonocara sp. ''Stuartgranti Maleri". It was named Rubescens after Peter Rubin, who first imported this fish from Germany.

Thanks sounds like you know your stuff about peacocks. I got lucky earlier when I went to petco and also got a nice dragon blood cichlid. I'm slowly working my way to and all male tank of peacocks. You have any good sites where you've found this info at?

Thanks sounds like you know your stuff about peacocks. I got lucky earlier when I went to petco and also got a nice dragon blood cichlid. I'm slowly working my way to and all male tank of peacocks. You have any good sites where you've found this info at?

You're on a great site for info. Google and YouTube...just keep studying and you'll get it down in no time.

You're on a great site for info. Google and YouTube...just keep studying and you'll get it down in no time.

I guess I meant for sites with pictorials of cichlids I've found a few but they only have a select few.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom