Peacock ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avidon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay guys, I need another fish identified. I bought this one from my local fish shop a few months ago and since then all of the stripes have almost completely disappeared and the blue band on the dorsal fin is almost totally gone. Looks to me like it's a peacock cichlid though I can't be sure. Thanks everybody!

image-1663312492.jpg

image-2775956921.jpg

image-1079276742.jpg

image-1575215863.jpg

image-1832400465.jpg

These pictures are kinda old.

Some updated pictures with better color all I can say for sure is that it's a juvie peacock. Most likely jacobfrei but I can't say for sure

Why is he black? Aren't peacocks supposed to gain color as they mature

If he's in there with mbuna then there's a good chance he's being picked on. I had that same problem

I bought a couple of really bright peacocks at Petco about a year ago. Within days of them coming home they started losing their bright colors. They ended up being almost black with an orange stripe on their fin - looked just like your last pics. Later I was talking to the guy who works in the aquatics section there and he told me they fed them food with hormones to brighten them up. If I hadn't gotten rid of them already I would have at that point because I hear there are more issues than just coloring.
I'm NOT saying that is what is going on with your fish because that's also what happens when they're bullied or they're subdominant. I'm just saying it might be worth doing some research on.

Okay guys, I need another fish identified. I bought this one from my local fish shop a few months ago and since then all of the stripes have almost completely disappeared and the blue band on the dorsal fin is almost totally gone. Looks to me like it's a peacock cichlid though I can't be sure. Thanks everybody!

These pictures are kinda old.

What do you feed them?I feed my cichlids NLS color spectrum along w NLS Ther A ,
It helps brightens up their colors.

Color enhancing food has little to no effect. I can gurantee that Petco isnt feeding hormones to their fish. Also a fish that was being feed color enhancing food and then feed something else isnt going to have a dramatic effect.

Back
Top Bottom